Author Topic: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch  (Read 7434 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Garry, just re-read "His Bloody Project!" by a guy MacRae-Burnett, fiction but reads otherwise!

Skoosh.

Offline Claona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 07:19 GMT (UK) »
They were bloody times indeed..if you explore the wild areas of NW Scotland there are many places associated with clan battles and murders.... cairns in memory of ancient deeds... Not far from Claona is a bend in a river called (in Gaelic)....Ath nan ceann (arnankown), Ford of the heads. Ath, a ford; ceann, heads. Often written Anagown..... after a vicious fight the defeated were decapitated and their severed heads tossed into the river. Later, it was spotted that the heads were observed all bobbing together at a wide bend.... hence the name even to this day!!!!! And  ...Loch Torr na h' Eiginn (loch torr na haykin), Loch of the mound of violence.....(torran nan tchee-ernan), Mounds of the chieftains. .....Cladh nan Sasunnach (klug nan sarsenach), Burial-place of the English... Donnachadh Mor na Tuaighe (donnochar mor na tew-ay), Big Duncan of the axe.  Murchadh Riabhach na cuirce (muroochuch reeoach na kurke), Brindled Murdo of the knife.   It was obvious that it was important to name every physical feature in the landscape to aid travel in the wilderness. If you look at ancient maps they are full of Gaelic names all over the areas... even though there is 'nothing there'!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Garry, I think Claona, at over a thousand feet, will be the ruins of a shepherds house & won't be as old as the early 18th century, it could be a century later. The grazings there would be connected to a particular settlement on the low ground whose folk went up there in May to the shielings for the summer months. Even if the people were not cleared to make way for sheep, the loss of the hill-grazings destroyed their economy. The great demand for cattle during the French wars couldn't compete with the high prices paid for land under sheep. A shepherd & his family living alone in such isolated circumstances was an alien thing to the Gaels.
 A century later the great demand for sporting estates at maybe three times the rent saw deer replace the sheep!

Skoosh.

Offline Claona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Certainly it was in use as a croft for shepherd/s... I had an idea it was still being used near the end of the 19th century.... It was always too far away from 'civilization' to be used in conjunction with stalking... although the area still has masses of deer and goats (and eagles)... On an O.S map from 1843  there is quite an obvious track leading to Claona (which is named)... the track connects to other paths to Letterewe  and also Gairloch... It shows one substantial building and two smaller ones... only one of the small ones can still be detected... Certainly it is high in the mountains but, unlike the rest of the area it has plenty of grazing. It is just conceivable that the sturdy small Highland cattle could navigate the high track... there is only one stretch of height to get there... the rest is mostly downhill. Near to Claona there used to be a small community (3 crofts) at Strathanmore. The 'drove' could halt there before heading over the main hill? Must have been a lonely (but beautiful place). If you enjoy exploring ancient tracks and paths it is worth looking at this site.... "National Library of Scotland - Map Images" .... almost all maps of Scotland going back to very very ancient maps.... It can be fun exploring these old tracks which no longer feature on current maps. You can blow them up to explore in detail. Great Fun!!!

Offline Claona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 14:22 GMT (UK) »
    This might be of interest to you... An extract from a book published in 1914...Walks and Scrambles In the Highlands by Arthur Bagley  {Claona appears as Claonadh in early maps} "....bogs continued the whole way along the shores of Loch Fada. The maps mark a house, or at least a black dot, which I supposed represented a house, " Claonadh," about a mile down the lake, and a path leading to it by the way I had come, and I had expected to see some fellow- creatures here. The path, as I have already, is no more, and when I reached Claonadh,I found only the four bare walls, and not much even of them, of what had once been a cottage. A grassy patch, a tiny oasis in the boggy desert around,was the only other sign that human life had once existed here. It was quite a disappointment to me, and imparted a melancholy tinge to my thoughts as I ate my lunch by the side of the burn, and speculated as to the former inhabitants and their fate. Had they been removed to make a deer-forest—banished,if not butchered, and to many a Highlander the former were the worse fate, to make a Sassenach holiday, to leave space for the sport of an American millionaire, or a wealthy brewer ? Are they perhaps toiling on the Canadian prairie, consumed with a bitter " Heimweh," a vain longing for the little hut on these lonely shores of Loch Fada, which they will probably never see again ?"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Interesting kid! Claona will be a meadow (Cluny, Clunaidh etc') Loch Fada, the long loch. Every feature would have had a name at one time!  :(

Skoosh.

Offline Claona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 28 March 19 15:52 GMT (UK) »
I got this information from a friend, and historian who lives in Kinlochewe.... maybe the Scotts did not stay at Claona for a long time?  "The census return of 1871 has the family of Peter MacLennan, shepherd, as occupiers. By 1881 it's the family of Alexander Cameron, shepherd. The census return of 1891 lists Claona as a ruin."