Author Topic: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch  (Read 7419 times)

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi hoping someone can assist.
I downloaded a birth of a child stating born in Cla?ne, Parish of Gairloch on the 19 June 1878 as John Scott, parents Adam Scott, Shepherd and Catherine Scott MS Maclean.
Father Adam Scott was the informant.
All births on this page were registered in Mellon Charles of which via maps I know where this is. Trouble is I cannot find the place which is most likely to be a Farmlet called Cla?ne (it is hard to read correctly the middle part and also the very end which could be an e or something else.
Other entries say Bualnaluik and Mellon Udnegle - all say parish of Gairloch, and all on the page registered by John Macdonald, Mellon Charles. The official registration from Scotlandspeople is 1878 - 066/1 14  Gairloch County of Ross. I am wanting to know what the correct spelling of this place would be if anyone can assist it would be most appreciated, as I would love to find the farm on a map if possible.
Father moved about during census and this is the only place of 1 child born that I cannot locate on a map or possible area. Any help or ideas welcomed.

Kind regards
Ailsa Corlett

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 13:56 GMT (UK) »
It's not at all clear is it  :-\

I've looked at NLS maps but nothing jumps out. From SP, it's in the north of the parish. Here's a snip for others to see.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Clunas to me, a common place-name but is there one in Gairloch?

Skoosh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
It's a huge parish - I didn't see one - will check in Scotlands Places.

Added - only showing in Nairn
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you so much for your help. It could be Cluna, as on 5 May 1879 the wife Catherine Scott MS McLean died with place given as Cluna, Parish of Gairloch and then on 10 May 1879 the daughter Jane aged 3yrs died, but this time place is recorded as Auchnasheen  - both on the same page which was lucky for me.  This time the registration was at Bualnaluil  (need to go and check the spelling myself on that one). So they appear to have been in the same area for the last two years at least, as child Jane born 6 Oct 1876 was at Ardendrian, Kilarlity, Invernessshire.
Will go and check out Scotlandsplaces again as well for anything regarding Cluna in that area. Appreciate the ideas and help
Regards Ailsa :)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Cluna/Cluny/Clunas. means a meadow Ailsa & Achnasheen gets an extra "a" by the locals. Achanasheen!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Was it registered at Achnasheen or was the place of death given as Achnasheen/Auchnasheen.

I'm thinking that it must be a shepherd's bothy/cot in the glen between Poolewe and the Achnasheen - Kinlochewe area but not sure that that is in the Gairloch North RD  :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Balnaluib is just north of Aultbae so in the Mellon Charles area - Achnasheen is miles away - confused now  :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 09:39 GMT (UK) »
I think it will be somewhere on this map

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74428342

I'll zoom around but might miss it.