Author Topic: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch  (Read 7382 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 09:51 GMT (UK) »
What is interesting is that Auchnasheen is queried on the entry - I think it's probably wrong so probably looking for something that might sound like that in Gaelic in that peninsular.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: need to find exact place name for birth registered in Mellon Charles Gairloch
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 10:26 GMT (UK) »
A further though:

I wonder if it is Gualann on the SE tip of Isle of Ewe. It would be a good place to put sheep and might have been called that in those days. 

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Here it is folks. Claona, north shore of Lochan Fada,  (the long lochan) below Ben Tarsuinn. This lochan has Slioch to the south & Loch Maree south of that.  As remote a spot as one can imagine, who could do it nowadays?

Skoosh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Well done Skoosh  :D

Map:

https://tinyurl.com/ya3hag9e

As you say, as remote as you can get!  I never climbed Slioch but it is a very fine mountain. I used to see some of the higher peaks of that range from my bedroom window.

He walked all that way to register a birth and deaths  :o

I did walk up as far as the Fionn Loch from Tournaig once.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Not even a track apparently Gadget. There was still money in sheep then, ten years later it all went down the tubes when Bell & Co on the Clyde built the first refrigerated ship which imported frozen lamb from Oz & NZ. Formerly only the wool came in but the meat undercut the home product completely & sheep & shepherds were replaced by deer & keepers. Ironically much of this lamb was produced by folk whose forefathers were cleared from the Highlands to make way for sheep!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 12:17 GMT (UK) »
A pic of what's left of the cottage;

https://canmore.org.uk/site/103166/claona

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 13:17 GMT (UK) »
My Goodness, thank you everyone so very very much. Gee this was a very isolated place today even, let alone back in 1879. Strange the he would walk all that way north rather than just going to Poolewe to register the birth and the deaths. It must have been hard on him regarding the deaths, as he was left at the time with a 5yr old daughter and 1yrs old John. I know from the 1881 Census, these children were living with their maternal grandparents back in Kiltarlity Invernessshire, and Adam the father was off being a shepherd to James Davidson in Tarras Moray.
No wonder the death certificates had stated No medical attendant and of course Adam had no idea really what the cause of his wife death was, just pain in her breast about 3 weeks. They knew what consumption was of which little Jane died from. 
Again that you everyone who has helped me, your efforts have been wonderful and really appreciated. I like to find out about the areas, make sure I have the spellings correct etc as well as being able to show others just where on maps they were living at the time of different events.

Kind regards for all your great help and the wonderful links showing the place as well.

Ailsa

Offline ailsac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I just wanted to say thank you again today to everyone who has helped. I have had a wonderful day today, just looking at maps, and so many beautiful photos regarding the area, reading all about the hikers and the bikers that have gone there, taken photos, posted them up for people like me to view and see. It is truly a beautiful part of Scotland, and even though it would have been extremely cold in the Winter I can still see that it would have been very beautiful as well. Though many of the sites do mention the midges - we get them here in Australia as well, they come right through all the tiny fly screens as well, but what I day and time I have had just looking and reading so much about the area. So thank you for helping me out, really appreciated.
Ailsa

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 08:12 GMT (UK) »
I lived just north of there - on the shore of  Loch Broom. It was hardly ever really cold in winter because of the Gulf Stream. Did you read about the famous Poolewe gardens.   Windy and wet, with howling gales and daylight was 9.30 - 15.30 in winter but some bright sunny days as well.  Snow on the tops but not for long. There was also the Northern Lights  :)

Gadget