Author Topic: Burial of Richard Chambers c1742-1748  (Read 893 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Burial of Richard Chambers c1742-1748
« on: Monday 30 October 17 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone able to double check for the burial of a Richard Chambers between 1742 and 1748 probably in Leaveland or Challock, although also possibly in Pluckly.

Richard's last child [Jane] was christened in Leaveland on 10 Oct 1742 suggesting he was alive then, and his wife Elizabeth was described as a widow in the 1748 Will of her father, James Wreight. At that time Elizabeth is described as being 'of Challock' so Richard might have died there.

So far the only burial I have found is for a Richard Chambers buried in Leaveland on 31 May 1742. This might be mine but seems a little early given that Jane is described as the daughter of "Richard and Elizabeth" on her christening in October 1742 suggesting he was alive then. Of course it is possible he died before her birth/christening.

Many Thanks for any suggestions

Matt

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of Richard Chambers c1742-1748
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 17 19:39 GMT (UK) »
There,s a burial for a Richard Chambers. 24 Sep 1746 at Egerton not that far away!
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 17 20:09 GMT (UK) »
There,s a burial for a Richard Chambers. 24 Sep 1746 at Egerton not that far away!

Ahah!

Thanks for that info, this might be the one. I'll have a look at my Chambers notes and let you know.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
After the excitement it looks like that might not be my Richard.

I've just discovered that there is a Richard Chambers [son of Richard and Mary] christened in Egerton on 17 August 1746.

Therefore that burial might refer to either this Richard (the son) or his father. In either case it can't be my Richard as he was married to Elizabeth.

The mystery continues......

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

It's possible he never saw his last child Jane born or christened. The burial you have at Leaveland, St Lawrence of a Richard Chambers seems to be the only one I can see . Other burials on the page say 'son of',  'daughter of', or  'wife of' - so my guess it was an adult burial.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,

It's possible he never saw his last child Jane born or christened. The burial you have at Leaveland, St Lawrence of a Richard Chambers seems to be the only one I can see . Other burials on the page say 'son of',  'daughter of', or  'wife of' - so my guess it was an adult burial.

Claire

So do you think the Richard who was buried in Egerton in September 1746 was same Richard who was christened in August 1746 as the son of Richard and Mary?

I agree it would make more sense for Richard to be buried in Leaveland as that's where his children were christened. There appear to be no other candidates so if the Richard who was buried in Egerton in September 1746 was the son of Richard and Mary, then the burial in Leaveland in 1742 seems to be the only other possibility.

Shame I can't find a Will for him as that might confirm when he died.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 00:05 GMT (UK) »

Hi

I think it could either be the father Richard or his son Richard. There are no other baptisms of children for Richard & Mary Chambers in Egerton after this date.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 00:47 GMT (UK) »

Hi

I think it could either be the father Richard or his son Richard. There are no other baptisms of children for Richard & Mary Chambers in Egerton after this date.

Claire

Hiya

Well if it is either of those two who was buried in Egerton then it does seem to leave the Richard who was buried in Leaveland in 1742 as mine.

I don't know of it's conclusive but I think that seems to be the only other option.

Matt

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 November 17 10:13 GMT (UK) »
There could be some info in the Parish books of the time .Some events etc were recorded.Such as bastardy and folk being removed to other villages etc. You could strike lucky with a vital clue. :)
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent