Author Topic: Ancestor help? McPherson  (Read 2577 times)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestor help? McPherson
« on: Thursday 02 November 17 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help on a specific family member. I have a different thread up about being brick walled in Scotland, and this plays off of that one. Note that on half of that, I had the wrong person.

Long story short, I now know that my relative, Susan McPherson, was born in 1822 in Stonyekirk, Wigtownshire to James McPherson and Elizabeth Armstrong.

I have no other info on James or Elizabeth other than the fact that they were married on October 30th, 1817 in Portpatrick.

I know that Susan McPherson married Robert Shaw on 29, Sep, 1842 in Kirkmaiden, Wigtownshire. Together, they had a daughter, Elizabeth Shaw, who married Thomas Rodie.

So, again, what I am trying to do is trace Susan McPherson's parents back. I know her dad was James McPherson and I know her mother was Elizabeth Armstrong, but I can't seem to find more info on either of them.

Thanks!

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor help? McPherson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 November 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you look at the 1871 census for Robert and Susan Shaw as in the household is Elizabeth McGarvie recorded as Robert's mother in law and, therefore, Susan's mother - born in about 1898 in Portpatrick.

On SP there is this death Elizabeth Armstrong/McGarvie/McPherson aged 81 in 1877 in Inch,Wigtownshire. The death cert should give parents names.

On censuses prior to 1871 it looks as though Elizabeth has been recorded as McGarva.

Marriage Elisabeth Armstrong to Robert McGarva in Stoneykirk 3 June 1834. So presumably James McPherson (marriage to Elizabeth Armstrong 30 October 1817 Portpatrick) died between 1822 and 1834.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 November 17 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you look at the 1871 census for Robert and Susan Shaw as in the household is Elizabeth McGarvie recorded as Robert's mother in law and, therefore, Susan's mother - born in about 1898 in Portpatrick.

On SP there is this death Elizabeth Armstrong/McGarvie/McPherson aged 81 in 1877 in Inch,Wigtownshire. The death cert should give parents names.

On censuses prior to 1871 it looks as though Elizabeth has been recorded as McGarva.

Marriage Elisabeth Armstrong to Robert McGarva in Stoneykirk 3 June 1834. So presumably James McPherson (marriage to Elizabeth Armstrong 30 October 1817 Portpatrick) died between 1822 and 1834.

William

Hey William,

Thanks for the help, I'll do that today!

I wonder, also, how I can trace back James McPherson. Hrm...

Thanks again!

Camden

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 November 17 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Might be difficult to find out about James McPherson- the OPR for his marriage might be worth a look but may not have much detail. The Wigtownshire Pages on Rootsweb are very good and are always useful when researching this area. Gravestone sites are also worth a look but has to be said tha many of us researching in Scotland do find that we do with some lines that we come to a point where we cannot go back any further. 

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 November 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Might be difficult to find out about James McPherson- the OPR for his marriage might be worth a look but may not have much detail. The Wigtownshire Pages on Rootsweb are very good and are always useful when researching this area. Gravestone sites are also worth a look but has to be said tha many of us researching in Scotland do find that we do with some lines that we come to a point where we cannot go back any further. 

William

Hrmm, might be a sad reality. THanks for all of your help!!!

Offline Tamyka Armstrong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 August 19 07:44 BST (UK) »
I've recently found a James Armstrong and Elizabeth on my Armstrong line..who immigrated to Australia 20/05/1839 from Glasgow Lanarkshire Scotland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 August 19 09:23 BST (UK) »
I've recently found a James Armstrong and Elizabeth on my Armstrong line..who immigrated to Australia 20/05/1839 from Glasgow Lanarkshire Scotland
There's a similar post with more detail at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=817473.0.

As there is no clear evidence that they are connected to the family originally mentioned in this thread, replies to the above would be better placed on the Lanarkshire thread.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 August 19 11:24 BST (UK) »
I agree with Forfarian, and I mention I am concerned as to how our OP has 'joined the dots" back from her grandfather who died in 2003, to the married couple, James & Eliza ARMSTRONG who came to New  South Wales as Bounty Emigrants in 1839. 

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Tamyka Armstrong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 August 19 12:40 BST (UK) »
I posted the original post, what is it your concerned about? I joined the dots literally with birth and death dates,birth certificates, letters etc etc, I joined the dots because the Armstrong men in my family connected through there birth certificates but I did post on the Lanarkshire also.