Author Topic: Which war?  (Read 862 times)

Offline katemart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Which war?
« on: Wednesday 03 August 05 12:04 BST (UK) »
I would like to indetify which of my JONES rellies is the jolly seated chap.  Can anybody start me off by telling me which war this would be - WWI or South Africa? 

PS - the batman signed the back of this card "Little Mack" or something - my cousin has the original which I may be able to prise from her fingers one day...

Many thanks, Kate

RUMSBY (any, plus assorted Suffolk families); HOLLAND (Driffield > E London > Tilbury); JONES (Deptford > Gravesend); PAIN (Tibury); BULLEN (London); O'CONNELL and MAHONEY (Cork > Gravesend); ANTHONY, ROWE, LAWRY (Cornwall > London); STONES, VITTY, RIPLEY (Durham > Yorkshire).

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Which war?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 August 05 02:55 BST (UK) »
kate i cant make out his cap badge,the only sure thing i can tell you is,the second medal is the queens south africa medal with at least 3 battle clasps,the third medal is the kings south africa medal with the 1901+1902 clasps,the first isnt clear enough,i thought he may have been a royal marine at first??not sure,can you enhance his badge+medals,the bloke standing is not in the military,hes a civvy,the two belts are probably the other mans,the picture was definately taken after 1902,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 August 05 04:42 BST (UK) »
Pry it from those fingers and get a better quality scan...then also make one of just the cap badge, & enlarge it....because mack is really good at this, and he will seriously find the answer for you, or at least lead you in the right direction....He's good!
He's helped many out with the same thing, me included.....J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline katemart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 05 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Mack and JJ: I can't believe you made out so much from this picture.  I will definitely get hold of the original and do some proper scans.  So, is it likely this photo was taken back in Blighty after the South African campaign?  In the same batch is a photocard of the war memorial at Lydd, which I think was an army barracks, and the photo I have attached below - I don't recognise any of these guys but maybe they will be of interest to somebody.

Thank you and I will get back to you after I get back from holiday.

Kind regards, Kate
RUMSBY (any, plus assorted Suffolk families); HOLLAND (Driffield > E London > Tilbury); JONES (Deptford > Gravesend); PAIN (Tibury); BULLEN (London); O'CONNELL and MAHONEY (Cork > Gravesend); ANTHONY, ROWE, LAWRY (Cornwall > London); STONES, VITTY, RIPLEY (Durham > Yorkshire).

Offline katemart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 August 05 13:29 BST (UK) »
Whoops, that was ole feller again.  Hopefully this is the right one... :-[