Author Topic: Alexander George Adam born 9th February 1908 Scotland  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander George Adam born 9th February 1908 Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Ignore previous posts for the moment as I think this could be them & opposite end of the country from Aberdeen area  :-\

BENNETT MARGARET MCPHER 1908
644/15 290 Hutchesontown

ADAM ALEXANDER GEORG 1908
646/2 344 Govan

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks very much for all the information.

I am going to take in all the information you have given me and will get back to you tomorrow.

I really appreciate the time you have taken over my query.

It has just dawned on me that the date of death was the 5th November.  Bonfire night.  We are just home from a firework display.  It is a beautiful clear night.

Thanks again.
Betty

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

They sailed from London, 16 March 1957 per ship "Iberia" which was destined for Sydney (it seems that they disembarked there.)   [They had been booked on same ship in September 1956 but their names are all struck through on that passenger list. ]

For what it's worth, I don't have any doubt that the Alexander and Margaret ADAM (d. 1966 at Auckland) are the people Betty is looking for.   ;)

~  Lu

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:29 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has a little more on the Purewa information

Margaret was born 1908 in Scotland and her last residence 29 Chesterfield Ave, Glendowie as was Alexander,the purchaser had the same surname,probably the son that came to NZ with them.

The address they left in Scotland was 493 King St,Aberdeen,

Cheers Janette

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:30 GMT (UK) »
It has just dawned on me that the date of death was the 5th November.  Bonfire night.  We are just home from a firework display.  It is a beautiful clear night.

What a spooky coincidence you should post on the anniversary not even realising!

Lucy....

I should have been more clear on the place of sailing from the UK as it may have helped determine which area they were born as the marriage I found doesn't really match with Margaret's names & the possible birth for her is at the opposite end of the country  ::)

Ditto on the birth for Alexander George as there are 2 at opposite ends of the country for 1908  :-\

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
The address they left in Scotland was 493 King St,Aberdeen,

Thanks Janette,

That's a better fit for the place of the marriage I found although a discrepancy with her name(s) & a possible birth as I can't get them to match up properly where areas are concerned either  ::)

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 November 17 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hmm...

1911 Index of no help as that Alexander G looks to be in a different household as there are no other Adam surnames matching the ref. no.  :-\

Ooops, forgot the ref.

ADAM ALEXANDER G
226/ 1/ 27 Newhills, Aberdeen

Annie

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 November 17 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for your replies and help.
Alexander's grandmother was Barbara Barron and he is recorded living with her in 1911.  His mum was Jane Ann Barron married to George Adam.

I have a record of a Jane Ann Adam having sailed in 1955 on ship Strathmore but she must have returned as I have her death date as 7th April 1966.  Her husband George died in 1948.  They married in Govan so the marriage of a Margaret Bennet McPherson in Govan would fit.  I need to buy some credits on Scotlands People to confirm.

My main question now is WHY husband and wife died on the same day but as 1966 is not so far back and could be still very sensitive to living relatives I shall leave it at the moment at not knowing.  If anybody does find a newspaper entry could they send it through a private message.  The extra information I have given is just to give a wider picture of the family to those who have helped me.

Thanks all, Betty

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 November 17 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Follow up to my last message.  I misread the entry where it mentions Alexander and Margaret.  I have checked on Scotlands People and there is only one marriage that would fit.  They married in Aberdeen. 1935 would fit with their first son being born 1937.
Betty