Author Topic: A 1942 Birth mystery  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Tshed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A 1942 Birth mystery
« on: Monday 06 November 17 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello all
I have a strange mystery that I am trying to help a friend with.  It refers to a partial birth certificate which was registered in July 1942 and was found in the  mother's handbag after she died a couple of years ago.  It has her husband's name as father and her name as mother, and both other ends of the certificate have been removed so the name of the child is not known.  This date does not refer to any known of her children and certainly they have no knowledge.  What's more her husband had been a POW for best part of a couple of years already and had another three to go so couldn't have been the father despite his appearance on the certificate.
Having searched on the surname for that quarter in 1942 under the surname, cross referenced with the maiden name of the mother there is one but it is nowhere near the place it would be expected to be found. 
Before that certificate is applied for just to be sure, I wondered if anyone could tell me what the process would have been around adoption at the time.  I feel the most obvious scenario is she fell pregnant, had a child, registered it with her husband's name because she was married (though it could not have been his) and then had it adopted.  What I don't know about is would they initially issue a certificate and then if subsequently adopted be removed from the Birth index under that original name and be re-registered?  I really don't know. 
I would like to know that process in order to suggest what may have happened, and whether or not to apply for that one birth certificate in the different area (she probably would have gone away from home anyway)....
Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Neil
Orme, Bethnal Green/Shoreditch
Harrison, Bethnal Green
Clegg, Sowerby Bridge, West Derby and Camberwell
Munt, Morley, London.
Dobbie, Baxter, Martin, Liddell-   Glasgow
"I am the family face, Flesh perishes, I live on"

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A 1942 Birth mystery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 November 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Would she have been permitted to place a child for adoption without the named fathers signature?

Is it also possible the chikd died young?
Are there any  possible deaths?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Tshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 November 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure about the signature thing.  I'm guessing there may have been a lot of it with a lot of long term absent husbands.
FOr there to be a death there has to be a birth entry which is the thing I can't find. The one birth I referred to hasn't got an associated death straight away.
N
Harrison, Bethnal Green
Munt, Morley, London.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 November 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I can't answer the adoption queries,  but sure others with experience on those matters will be able to advise you on that.

This is in regards to the area that the child was born. Have you considered that the lady was in a area far from her original residence due to evacuation.
Was her original residence in a high risk  area for would be German bombing, such as docks, or a major city?
Two of my families were evacuated, including the mothers of the families (husbands were off fighting) one was from the dock area of Swansea, they got sent to the country(a farm) in another county.
Evacuation may be the reason for being far away from her usual residence.
Kind Regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:00 GMT (UK) »
An adoption doesn't remove the original birth entry from the records, it is just noted as adopted in the margin and a new record is created in the Adopted Children Register with the adoptive parents names on it.

You need to order a copy of the entry you have to learn any more....if there was a legal adoption, it will say so (although it won't give any clue as to the new name of the child).

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Are there no other clues at all, eg the name of the registrar?
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Tshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:13 GMT (UK) »
An adoption doesn't remove the original birth entry from the records, it is just noted as adopted in the margin and a new record is created in the Adopted Children Register with the adoptive parents names on it.

You need to order a copy of the entry you have to learn any more....if there was a legal adoption, it will say so (although it won't give any clue as to the new name of the child).

OK thank you. I didn't realise that it would say it that that child has been adopted. I understand about the not putting new name etc on.  That's all interesting thank you.
Harrison, Bethnal Green
Munt, Morley, London.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
My husband's aunt was removed from London when she became pregnant and gave birth to her son in a country hospital.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Tshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Are there no other clues at all, eg the name of the registrar?

I'm afraid not just the section showing Father's name, mothers name and half the section next to it. The place above is obscured, but the certification saying it is registered in July 1942 is visible.
Harrison, Bethnal Green
Munt, Morley, London.