Author Topic: FELTON / SULLIVAN  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Arnaud Gabet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FELTON / SULLIVAN
« on: Monday 06 November 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am french and I search informations about the german origins of Rudolf Felton who was married the 8 of february 1863 at Queenstown with Ellen Sullivan. Thank you very much for your answers.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FELTON / SULLIVAN
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 November 17 21:18 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is in the Cobh parish register for 18th April 1863.  (Cobh is the modern name for Queenstown). The couples witnesses were John Tohan & Mary Coughlan. See:

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633020#page/100/mode/1up

That limited amount of information is fairly typical for a Roman Catholic marriage at that time.  No parents names, no addresses, ages etc. No easy way of identifying his origins that I can think of.

Family in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Queenstown_Urban_No__1/East_Hill/1138201/

Carl Rudolph Felton died 2.3.1906 in Queenstown:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1906/05566/4562805.pdf
Elwyn

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 November 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am french and I search informations about the german origins of Rudolf Felton who was married the 8 of february 1863 at Queenstown with Ellen Sullivan. Thank you very much for your answers.
Hello Arnaud & welcome to Roots chat.  As you are researching Rudolfs german origins this post would probably be better suited to the European board the Moderator may move it for you.
Do you have Rudolf & Ellens marriage record if so does it give Rudolfs fathers name>
Was Rudolf in the Military or Navy?  There will not be a Civil Marriage Cert for the couple as Civil Registration wasnt introduced in Ireland until 1864.  Rgds

Offline Arnaud Gabet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 November 17 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn,

Thank you for your answer.
Do you know when Ellen Sullivan was dead ?
Can I find list of german migrants in Ireland to know the origins of Rudolph Felton ?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 November 17 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Arnaud,

Some Irish death certificates are available to see free on-line, on the Irishgenealogy site that has Carl Rudolph’s death. However deaths before 1891 are not yet available free.

There are 2 Ellen Felton deaths in the period 1864 to 1901, in Cork, in the irishgenealogy site indexes. If you want the full details you need to send off for a copy of the death certificate.

One was registered Cork, Jan – March 1886. Volume 5, page 170, age at death 45. The other was Cork, Jan – March 1885. Volume 5, page 100. Age 48. The information is very similar in the two entries, and I think it may be the same death recorded in the indexes twice, by mistake.  By cross referencing to another source, I think the correct year of death was 1885.

You can order a photocopy of the civil death certificate from GRO Roscommon for €4 (euros).  http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply-for-Certificates.aspx

You have to download and print off the form. Then either post or fax it. You can’t e-mail your order to them. However if you want them to e-mail the cert to back to you, they will do that, so tick the relevant box.

I noticed this family in the 1911 census. I suspect it’s connected to your family:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Queenstown_No__2_Urban/Ballyvoloon__part_of__Ileen_Terrace_/405715/

There’s no list of German migrants to Ireland in the 1860s (or earlier). Immigration procedures then were next to non existent. If Rudolf ever applied for citizenship (and it would have been British Citizenship then as Ireland was not yet a separate nation) there might be a file in the National Archives in London. You could check there. But he was under no obligation to have applied for citizenship. He might just have remained a resident German citizen.  There would be no record of that now, so far as I am aware.

I looked to see if Rudolf left a will, but he does not appear to have done so.
Elwyn

Offline Arnaud Gabet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 November 17 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Elwyn for these new informations.

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 00:11 GMT (UK) »

Bonsoir Arnaud,

The registers for one of the cemeteries in Cobh ( Queenstown) are available to view online.

They are available on the www.corkarchives.ie website.  This is the link to the page

http://www.corkarchives.ie/media/UDC-CO-CY-1879-1907_Part10.pdf     

( if this does not work use the next one below   and scroll down to section that has March 2nd 1906)

http://www.corkarchives.ie/collections/onlinedigitalarchive/cobhqueenstowncemeteryrecords/

Details

Carl R Felton  Died March 2 1906 ( although it looks like 1904 possible just the writing)
Male
Aged 73 Years
Widower
Died from Paralysis
Place of Birth Germany
Religion Catholic
Last place of Residence  Queenstown 
Burial   March 4th 1906

Burial Plot
Section   A    Plot  10    Row  22

Are you an ancestor of this man?   Approximate Birth Year   1833 .  You might find more information if you could locate his birth details from Germany.

The Cobh Library does have transcriptions of all of the headstones in this cemetery which is known as "Old Clonmel Cemetery, Cobh".   They don't have an email address - I will see if I can contact them by phone and maybe get the transcription for you tomorrow.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 12:01 GMT (UK) »

Offline Arnaud Gabet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all these informations, the certificate of death of Carl Rudoph Felton said he was "clerk". What is this job ? What is the french traduction of this job ? Thank you very much for advance.