Author Topic: Baptism record for Richard Molesworth in Dublin  (Read 1619 times)

Offline BMolesy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism record for Richard Molesworth in Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 November 17 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Can't find a picture of a head stone, but according to http://www.machadoink.com/St%20Alphege%20Church.htm there is a way to look up records, which may or may not give us his parents, or other relatives.

Can't find his burial record, should be at U3-8-1 book 25, page 6-7, but he isn't there. Before 1812, they included the parents names, and then they stopped because the new books didn't ask for it. But he isn't there anyway, unless he is added in an odd spot in one of the other books.

Offline howdoIthinkIam

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 November 17 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I think that is a link to St Alphege Canterbury, Richard was buried at Greenwich 24 October 1814 and there is no reference to his parents names, just states he died at Greenwich hospital.
Name:   Richard Molesworth
Record Type:   Burial
Death Date:   abt 1814
Burial Date:   24 Oct 1814
Burial Place:   St Alphege, Greenwich, Greenwich, England
Register Type:   Parish Register

There are multiple naval records for him all stating his birthplace as Dublin.

Offline narimine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your efforts and that confirmation.  Seems he has the most elusive parents!
Serena

Offline BMolesy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 November 17 21:36 GMT (UK) »
The only real clue I can think that will help, at this stage, is extra source documents. Sound easy eh? I have details that suggest that Coote Molesworth kept a family Bible, which had a number of stories and accounts in it. Apparently it was in the possession of Athelstan Riley, Seigneur de la Trinite, Jersey, which has since changed hands. Either the Riley family have taken it with them, or it is still at Trinity Manor, Jersey. I have sent an email, but have not gotten a response. Coote was in the area when Richard was born, I'm hoping it might shed light on the family.

Offline narimine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 November 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
That’s really interesting. Did not realise Coote was in Dublin at that time. But had been aware that later in life, he was not far from Portsmouth, dying in Chichester.  For that reason we looked closely at Coote’s Will for a reference to Richard. The Richard great nephews mentionned were eliminated as being Richard Holmes and Richard Walker.
Hoping for further news.

Offline BMolesy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 November 17 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Coote seemed to be broke in the 1720-30's, and living with family. He did go to war, as the Doctor. It ounds like he was taking care of Richard 3rd V.'s estates while Richard was in England. Coote was staying with his wife in the Dublin house in 1763 when it burnt to the ground. I'd love to see his will, and find out more about his later life. I wondered if Coote could have been your Richards father too, but he didn't have children at the fire in 1763. I have lots more info too. Slowly gathering more. But I can't find your Richard yet. I have taken photos of the Red book, which I can share. My Gradad wrote the blue Molesworth book, which has lots in it. I've been puttng as much as I can on Wikitree. Trying to get the pieces together.

Offline narimine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 November 17 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Coote’s Will can be found on ancestry.com by entering Prerogative Canterbury Wills. He died 1783 while at Chichester.  The Will is not easy to read but the name Holmes was deciphered by the great people at Rootschat. Guess we were just hoping for some positive sign of contact given the relatively close geographical connection of the two.
Really appreciate any input.