Author Topic: Two Place names I need help with  (Read 4022 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Two Place names I need help with
« on: Wednesday 08 November 17 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

From a family history compiled in the 1930's in America, I have 2 place names which need clarification.

Bretreford = Burtree Ford - I think I am fairly safe with that translation

Sisodorgue = ?

An earlier generation of the family that lived at Bretreford lived at Sisodorgue in the late 1700's, so I imagine it is within the vicinity.
The Bretreford births were registered at Stanhope.
The men folk were mostly miners so I doubt if it is the name of a farm.
All suggestions most welcome.

Thank you,
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two Place names I need help with
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Is the original document available Jean? Unless we can see and interpret the words only have someone else's best guess to go by. Additional possibility for errors if the interpretation was made by someone unfamiliar with the area which seems to be the case here.

(For example, it could be that the capital S is actually an L because these two letters are often mistaken)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ruskie,

A couple of paragraphs of the book have been emailed to me. It is typed.
Sorry, that is all I know.

Jean

PS I am in New Zealand, and am helping someone in America. How's that for a go around?
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 04:21 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at Genuki and a couple of other sites but can't see anything remotely like Sisodorgue.  :-\

If the typed document you have gives details of names, places, dates, we might be able to find the originals for ourselves? After all, the information must have come from somewhere ....

I'm sure others will have some place name suggestions for you ....

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes you are right. Burtree Ford. Travelling from Stanhope westwards towards the Cumberland border is Burtree Ford. The other place on the road is St John's Chapel which is/was a place of worship near Burtree Ford. The church and the village are known as St. John's Chapel. Some Burtree Ford residents could be in the parish records there. My dominant name from Burtree Ford is Bowes.

One feature in Stanhope and North Carolina, USA  is the naming of sons after male neigbours. Lets say John Brown Smith after Mr. Brown on the next farm. 

PS I am in America, and am helping someone in New Zealand who is helping someone in America. How's that for a go around?

About that other place. Goodness knows.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 November 17 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Looking through various search engines, I found a reference to the Hodgsons of Sisodorgue. On Nov. 20th 1802 they had several children baptized at St John's Chapel. FreeReg records the baptism, but names their residence as Six Darg. A darg or dargue referred to the amount of work that could be done in a day. It was a farming term, later used in mining.
Peter Bowes's book on Weardale, "Clearing the Forest" refers to the farm as one of those established as farming was expanded into the upper dale. On the map headed "New settlement in the Forest and Park 1660 to 1710" he marks the farm to the west/south west of Wearhead and calls it "Six Days Work", though in the text he also refers to it as Six Dargue. The farms near it are Stonedrass and Low Rigg.
As is usual in the Pennine dales, miners would also be farmers, with their families keeping the farms going when they were down the mines.
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 November 17 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Looking through various search engines, I found a reference to the Hodgsons of Sisodorgue. On Nov. 20th 1802 they had several children baptized at St John's Chapel. FreeReg records the baptism, but names their residence as Six Darg. A darg or dargue referred to the amount of work that could be done in a day. It was a farming term, later used in mining.
Peter Bowes's book on Weardale, "Clearing the Forest" refers to the farm as one of those established as farming was expanded into the upper dale. On the map headed "New settlement in the Forest and Park 1660 to 1710" he marks the farm to the west/south west of Wearhead and calls it "Six Days Work", though in the text he also refers to it as Six Dargue. The farms near it are Stonedrass and Low Rigg.
As is usual in the Pennine dales, miners would also be farmers, with their families keeping the farms going when they were down the mines.

That looks very likely Geordie Mag.  :) Great detective work!

It's quite close to Burtree Ford too.