Author Topic: Look up Request for Marriage of Vere Herbert to Margaret of Caldicot. Monmouth  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I am looking to find the marriage date possibly between 1600 - 1723 of Vere Herbert to Margaret (surname unknown) Caldicot or surrounding areas ..Monmouthshire  and the names of their children and who the partners of these children married

I have found him on a will on http://www.gwentarchives.gov.uk/media/15180/d1317_the_manor_of_sudbrook.html it shows he is succeeded by eldest son William but dosnt mention the other children. Also this link shows lots of other Herbert information going back centuries...

So I would welcome any help to find out if he had a daughter Anne Herbert as she might have married an Edward Smith of Caldicot.. this is where my family is linked to.

My Edward Smith

had children
Vere Smith's (baptised 5 Oct 1726 in Caldicot) (I descend from this Vere Smith), and brother Thomas Smith (baptised 13 Nov 1729 in Caldicot)
Anne who was buried 8 Oct 1731. 

I would really welcome any help with this as I am stuck at the moment.....

Thanks

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request for Marriage of Vere Herbert to Margaret of Caldicot. Monmouth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 17 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Let me first apologize for the scarcity of information ,he's not an easy person to find.
It looks like he was baptized 14 April 1674 at St Clement Danes Westminster s of William and Lucy.
He married a Margaret Cudmore according to Familysearch
They had William 1690,Francis 1693 and Elizabeth 1695.
In 1707 he is Sheriff of Caldecot .

Sorry you probably already have all that

Ciderdrinker

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Request for Marriage of Vere Herbert to Margaret of Caldicot. Monmouth
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 17 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi ciderdrinker,

Lovely to hear from you and thank you very much for your reply as I don't have this information appreciate this very much.

Yes the Herbert family were Sherriffs of Caldicot Castle and there were two brothers from the Smith family working as Stewards at Caldicot Castle and according to one descendant of the Smith family who has researched this line said that one of the Smith Brothers married the youngest daughter of the Herbert family so I myself have got back to an Edward Smith father of my Vere Smith.  Anyway this Edward Smith might be the one who was a steward at Caldicot Castle around 1750 to 1730 but Im not sure would welcome any help with this and married the youngest daughter of the Herbert family.. ??

Thanks

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 January 18 18:09 GMT (UK) »
ciderdrinker,

Thanks for your information in the quote below and am looking to find out if Vere and Margaret (nee Cudmore) Herbert's children William, Francis and Elizabeth if any of them had a daughter Ann Herbert born in Caldicott and married an Sir Thomas Smith around early 1700's in St Marys Church, Caldicott.

Thanks again Elizlloyd

Hello
Let me first apologize for the scarcity of information ,he's not an easy person to find.
It looks like he was baptized 14 April 1674 at St Clement Danes Westminster s of William and Lucy.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 March 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody

Just found this interesting link about the Herbert family ... makes for interesting reading on the history of the Herbert family of St Julians. Wales.  This Herbert family possibly link to Vere Herbert but further back in the family line and the position of St. Julians is about midway between Newport castle and Caerleon and the house is closely connected with these places. Newport castle at one time was in the hands of the Herberts (3) and Caerleon manor belonged to the Earl of Pembroke of the first creation, the ancestor of the Herberts of St. Julians, to whom Edward IV had granted it.

The Herbert family of St Julians.

Between Newport and Caerleon, just off the main road, are the remains of the old mansion of St. Julians, once owned by a branch of the famous Herbert family. It is now concealed by a row of brick houses and the only old parts left are: a gabled porch, a couple of windows at the back and some portions of walls. However, even that is enough to set the imagination working.

http://www.caerleon.net/archive/literature/glh/35herberts.htm

Hope this link and the information contained within it helps anyone else to know more about the Herbert family

Best Wishes

Elizlloyd

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
ciderdrinker,

Hello could you let me know where Vere Herbert Married Margaret Cudmore and the date and place of marriage and the name of the church I guess it was somewhere in London.

Thanks.

Elizlloyd

Hello

Ciderdrinker