Author Topic: How do you verify if you are connected to nobility?  (Read 2215 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do you verify if you are connected to nobility?
« on: Monday 13 November 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I've been researching my partner's family tree on Ancestry, and have come across connections in other family tree's where a couple branches of the family are descended from noble houses. Not wanting to jump straight in and add these to the tree, I wanted to research myself to see if it added up in my tree as well.

For example, in the family tree I am researching, my partners 4x great grandmother was a lady called Mary Avery nee Plymsell. She was born c.1798 in Tedburn St Mary, in Devon. I struggled to locate definite parents for her, but I found in other family tree's her parents as William Plymsell & Elizabeth Manning. William Plymsell's mother was Cecilia Elston 1739-1813, Cecilia's father was Nathaniel Elston b.c.1719 and his mother was Joan (Johan) Wreford 1675-1743. It is the Wreford family who seem to be descended from several notable families including that of Sir John Plantagenet 6th Earl of Surrey DeWarenne who was born August of 1231 in Warren, Sussex, England.

I don't know how I can confirm the authenticity of all of this (shrugs)!! Any tips? It would be very exciting if i could add this all to the tree!

Cheers,

Keelan

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: How do you verify if you are connected to nobility?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 17 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Exactly the same way as you research any other ancestry you find the real records and prove your ancestry.

It is not unusual to find 'family trees' online on any website and they are all a tree of unproved names unless there is attached real records of each person of where the owner researched and proved that individual person...otherwise they are just a copied and pasted additional from some others unresearched  online tree......... and when someone post  names prior to 500 yrs where is their proof of research as parishes didn't produce records before then and although there are records available prior most are not suitable family connecting records.

You say you have researched "c.1798 in Tedburn St Mary, in Devon" which means you have the church where she was baptised and so have the baptism record which shows what? Does it show both parents or like many just a fathers name or no parents name and just the event of baptism.... as if so that is where you real research may stop, unless you can find land records, a Will or some other real record that proves the parent/s
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 17 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Personally, I'd contact the owner of the tree.  Often they're very helpful.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Name:   Mary Plymseel
Baptism Date:   13 May 1798
Baptism Place:   Crediton,Devon,England
Father:   William Plymseel
Mother:   Elizabeth
FHL Film Number:   917183, 917184

Name:   Maria Plymsell
Baptism Date:   18 Mar 1798
Father:   Amos Plymsell
Mother:   Elizabeth

Name:   William Plymsell
Baptism Date:   13 Mar 1774
Father:   Amos Plymsell
Mother:   Cicely
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Name:   Amos Plymsell
Marriage Date:   23 Aug 1763
Marriage Place:   Crediton,Devon,England
Spouse:   Cecilia Elston
FHL Film Number:   917184, 917185

I am not saying the Ancestry trees are correct,or incorrect come to that! But they seem to be using other trees as sources, so lots of copying going on.  These are a few of the records available for free https://www.familysearch.org/hr/search/
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
How to confirm if you are related to nobility?

Prick your finger with a pin. If your blood is blue, you are noble. If your blood is red, you are an ordinary plebeian like the rest of us.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 16:29 GMT (UK) »
One tree on Ancestry had connected a family line to the Duke of Bedfords and then further upwards to the Tudors. All seemed to be correct until the crucial "gateway ancestor" who was supposedly the daughter of a Duke. A quick Google search told me he had no daughters by that name.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 16:38 GMT (UK) »
My "favourite" from among really terrible descents from aristocracy is for Nicholas Kellogg or Kelhog, of Debden, Essex. He was a husbandman, with goods worth 40 shillings in the 1525 lay subsidy. Then someone, for reasons unknown, decided that he was actually the legitimate son of Lord Audley (whose surname was actually Touchet).

And this is now copied everywhere.
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I also descend from the Kellogg family of Essex. Braintree and Cressing.

I am not too worried about noble ancestors. I have landowners in my tree and someone who was knighted in 1633.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain