Author Topic: Tom Butterfield West Yorks.  (Read 2594 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Butterfield West Yorks.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I see someone seized on the 1/6th Thomas in the old thread.

I would add only that the photograph of the men on parade looks very much as if it was taken in England rather than France/Flanders although if the writing on the back says it is France then I will stand corrected.  The badge, and the man in the first file second rank looks very much like the Grenadier Guards and certainly nothing like any of the regiments mentioned so far.  (A regiment served in in UK and not overseas will not show up on a medal card).

MaxD

...I think if he had been in the 'Grenadier Guards', it would have been mentioned.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 November 17 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking everyone

There was a newspaper report in a Shipley paper about a Tom Butterfield who had written a letter  from France/Flanders saying the constant bombardment had affected his hearing. I did screen shot it ,but I can't find it at the moment

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 November 17 00:42 GMT (UK) »
This looks like the article:

Shipley Times and Express 11 January 1918
In an interesting letter written from France, Private Tom Butterfield says he has been buried three times by the explosion of German shells, and on the last occasion he was so badly hit as to be made deaf for three weeks.

There were several similarly short snippets, all under the heading Eccleshill.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 November 17 01:19 GMT (UK) »
This looks like the article:

Shipley Times and Express 11 January 1918
In an interesting letter written from France, Private Tom Butterfield says he has been buried three times by the explosion of German shells, and on the last occasion he was so badly hit as to be made deaf for three weeks.

There were several similarly short snippets, all under the heading Eccleshill.

Yes!, that's the one Jomot, thank you. Tom did have a family connection with 'Eccleshill'. I will ask family members about this as he may have moved there from central Bradford, after his marriage in 1911

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 November 17 01:47 GMT (UK) »
For info, the Thomas Butterfield previously mentioned who served under 1859 & 240336 was listed as wounded on the daily casualty lists published 18 Sep 1915.   Did anyone mention Tom having been wounded?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 November 17 01:52 GMT (UK) »
For info, the Thomas Butterfield previously mentioned who served under 1859 & 240336 was listed as wounded on the daily casualty lists published 18 Sep 1915.   Did anyone mention Tom having been wounded?

No we don't remember it being mentioned that he had been wounded. Also, he was always known as just 'Tom'.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 November 17 02:21 GMT (UK) »
I know he was just 'Tom' but I doubt there is a single set of records anywhere without at least some errors on them so I don't think you can entirely discount this one just yet.  The wounded report was just as T Butterfield.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 November 17 10:36 GMT (UK) »

Is this the one who Ady (in the older linked topic, reply #15) and  Max mentioned who was in the 1/6 Batt, West Yorks regiment?
This would fit with the photo of him with his baby/toddler? son (b registered Jan 1914). In the photo Tom has a West Yorks regiment cap badge.

His brother in law, who he seems to have been close to, is in the same batch of family photos and was also in the West Yorks regiment  1/6 Batt. He was KIA at Ypres in Sept 1915