Author Topic: Gavin Black of Craignook  (Read 3784 times)

Offline alys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gavin Black of Craignook
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Gavin Black of Rawyards is my Ancestor.  I believe his parents were John Black and Janet Black, for whom banns were called in New Monkland and Torphichen in 1702.  Based on the naming pattern for their chidren the father of John may have been called Gavin.  Of Craigneuk????
I have this from the Scottish Mining website
NEW MONKLAND.
John Thomson, Feuer in Gartqueen.
John Russell, Portioner of Eastfield.
William Craig, in Airdrie Miln.
John Thomson, son to James Thomson, in Airdrie Muir.
John Keddar, in Airdrie town, now Cottar in Rashbush.
Gavin Black, in Craigneuk, in Monklands Land.
John Thomson, in Shiels of Auchingray.
John Gardner, in Gartly, son to John Gardner there.
Samuel Yuil, in Laend.
John Martin, in Drumbowie.
John Martin, his son.
Patrick Yuil, in Braikenhirst, son to Alexander Yuil there.
Thomas Gentles, in Habbisdub.
William Ker, in Rochsoles, now Weaver in Airdrie.
William Waddell, in Riding.
Alexander Martin, in Overshank.
----- Russell, younger, in Meadowhead.
William Dobbie, Webster in Blackbog. 
http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/420.html
John Black (of Rawyards) may be a younger son of Gavin Black of Craigneuk. I think I have a sasine somewhere to do with his purchase of Rawyards, whereas I think the Black family already owned land at Craigneuk.
The Gavin Black in the painting (1802-1871) is the great-grandson of Gavin Black (of Rawyards) and Mary Wotherspoon.
Smellie from Gartshore to New Monkland;  Sneddon from Polmont to New Monkland;  Lumsden, Bo'ness to Lanarkshire;  Black, McCallum, Wotherspoon at New Monkland;  Fyfe at  Cambuslang;  Currie, Hamilton on Arran; Gilchrist, Brown, Campbell on Islay

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
There is a sasine naming John Black, son of John Black in Rawyeards, in Volume XI. page 342. This volume covers 2 June 1699 to 5 July 1709. So (a) the Blacks were in, but perhaps not yet of, Rawyards by 1709 and (b) the father of the John Black in Rawyards when Gavin Black was born in 1704 was almost certainly the son of a John, not a Gavin, Black.

There is a sasine referring to Gavin Black in Craignook, Volume XX, page 438. I have jotted down some details from it, as follows: Sasine [NAS 42/20/439] 12th September 1777 ..... William Black now of Craignook second lawfull son of ye deceased Gavin Black of Craignook for himself and as .... and attorney for Bethia Cullen relict of ye deceast Gavin Black of Craignook .... Gavin B and Bethia Cullen were married in 1734. The only baptism of a child of theirs was John, baptised 8 May 1737. Therefore William was probably born after 1737. This is the sasine that also mentions Gavin Black of Craigneuk's son John and daughters Bethia and Isobel.

There is alo a sasine dated 1724 referring to Gavin Black of Craigneuk, and I have a note that it was 'almost illegible'.

If, as seems to be the case Gavin Black of Craigneuk named his eldest son John, perhaps John Black in Rawyards and Gavin Black of Craigneuk were brothers, sons of John Black? But in that case, how does the Gavin Black of Craigneuk in 1684 fit in? father of John and grandfather of John and Gavin, perhaps?

What is the date of the sasine you have with the acquisition of Rawyards by the Black family, Alys?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline debsydebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone for your help, I will have to print all of this out and try and work out where everything fits on my family tree
regards,
Deb

Offline debsydebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, have you seen this link about the painting?
http://curlinghistory.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/the-curlers-at-rawyards.html

Very interesting- the other thing that makes me think there is a connection ( but I could be wrong of course) is the connection of the Rankins - my great grandfather in Australia was first married to a Julia Christina Rankin and I thought she may be a descendant
Deb

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Who was it who married Julia Christina Rankin? When and where?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 11:28 GMT (UK) »
I have this from the Scottish Mining website
NEW MONKLAND.
John Thomson, Feuer in Gartqueen.
John Russell, Portioner of Eastfield.
William Craig, in Airdrie Miln.
John Thomson, son to James Thomson, in Airdrie Muir.
John Keddar, in Airdrie town, now Cottar in Rashbush.
Gavin Black, in Craigneuk, in Monklands Land.
John Thomson, in Shiels of Auchingray.
John Gardner, in Gartly, son to John Gardner there.
Samuel Yuil, in Laend.
John Martin, in Drumbowie.
John Martin, his son.
Patrick Yuil, in Braikenhirst, son to Alexander Yuil there.
Thomas Gentles, in Habbisdub.
William Ker, in Rochsoles, now Weaver in Airdrie.
William Waddell, in Riding.
Alexander Martin, in Overshank.
----- Russell, younger, in Meadowhead.
William Dobbie, Webster in Blackbog. 
I was struck by the fact that all the persons listed are described as 'in xxx' rather than 'of xxx' so I looked again at this, and also at the Scottish Mining web site. The context is interesting. It's part of a long historical article, with content that sometimes seems not to have a lot of relevance to mining.

The preamble to this list says, "While searching for old books to glean from in recording past events in the history of the parish, a gentleman kindly placed one at our disposal, bearing date 1684. It refers to all the parishes in Scotland, and is entitled "A Proclamation anent Fugitives and Rebels," and contains the lists in each parish of the said fugitives." and it goes on to quote the relevant Act of Parliament which was for the persecution of Covenanters.

So this is a list of the Covenanters who were wanted by the authorities to answer charges of rebellion. This is 1684, some years after, for example, John Waddell of Ryden was martyred and his relative William Waddell transported to the colonies in 1680 for being Covenanters. So these are presumably the last few who were in hiding and had yet to be apprehended and tried.

I note that it includes William Waddell in Riding. As John Waddell of Ryden and his relative William Waddell had already been dealt with, this must be another of the family, possibly a son of John.

It also lists Gavin Black in Craigneuk. From this I deduce that this Gavin Black was not the proprietor of Craigneuk, but perhaps a son or brother of (John?) Black of Craigneuk. If he was an active Covenanter, he was probably born in the 1650s or earlier.

What do people think?

Offline debsydebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I hope this makes sense  :)
my GGF
Thomas Collins Black 1866–1944
Birth 4 JULY 1866 • 'Ayrdale', Wolumla, NSW. Australia
married
Julia Christina Rankin 1870–1903
Birth 25 JUN 1870 • Nimmitabel, NSW
then married my GGM
Ann Jane Wilson 1886–1949
Birth 1886 • Bemboka, New South Wales, Australia

he was the son of my GGGF William Black 1815–1867
Birth 24 SEP 1815 • New Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland
and my my GGGM (second wife)Mary Ann Jeavons 1840–1915
Birth 16 MAR 1840 • Wolverhampton, Staffordshire

Offline debsydebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
thank you Forfarian, I had found a book on google books written about the martyrs and it mentioned Gavin Black of Craigneuk

Offline debsydebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
The History of the Sufferings of the Church of Scotland,: From the Restauration to the Revolution:
Front Cover
Robert Wodrow
James Watson, 1722 - Scotland