Author Topic: Managing your Rootsweb Freepges at present  (Read 602 times)

Offline rover

• RootsChat Member
  • Life is a journey, not a guided tour
    • View Profile
Managing your Rootsweb Freepges at present
« on: Thursday 16 November 17 06:54 GMT (UK) »

To those who had or presently still have a Genealogy Site at Rootsweb Freepages.

After the changes that took place a few months back, I would like to know if you have been able to locate all your files. I know that the File Manager is gone. I had about 70 files and have found 45 of them. Have copied all the images and the HTML code belonging to these files / pages.

I would like to know if any of you have been able find all your files and have you been able to do any editing to your pages and also, have you moved them away.

Thanks     
Isle of Wight :-  Walker ~  Mursell ~ Whelan ~ Coxhead ~ Silsbury
Berks :-  Upton ~ Cannon ~ Gleed ~ Coxhead ~
Hamps :-  Loader ~ Kibby / Kebby ~  
Liverpool :-   Branson ~
London :-  Walker ~ Hood ~ Loader ~ Coxhead
England :-  Cook ~ McAuliffe ~ Herbert
Wales Glamorgan :-  Phillips ~ Poustie ~
Scotland :-  Poustie ~ Telford ~ Telfer ~
Malta :-   Bartolo ~ Sultana ~ Herbert ~ Cook ~ Casha

Worldwide :-  Poustie ~ Pousty ~ Coxhead.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Managing your Rootsweb Freepges at present
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 17 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm still using my Freepages site, but given the changes there over the years I'm aware that it could close down some time. I have a separate website, mainly a kind of photo album, and when looking at possible hosts for it I've always tried to make sure it could also accommodate the site from Freepages should that ever become necessary.

From what you write, it sounds as though you don't have a local copy of your Freepages site, which is different from the way I've worked. I've always worked on the site on my PC and kept my files and back-ups locally, then just uploaded pages as and when they've changed.

I used to do this with FireFTP, a Firefox plug-in, but as that doesn't work with the latest version of Firefox I've switched to a standalone FTP program - there are a few free options available. I think this would help with your problem too - once logged in you get an explorer-type view of the site, so you can locate and download files from wherever they may be lurking.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk