Author Topic: Powick Asylum, Was She Abandoned?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline 3Kittycats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Powick Asylum, Was She Abandoned?
« on: Thursday 16 November 17 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
My Grandfather was married to a lady who was a patient at Powick Lunatic Asylum.  She died there in December of 1920.  Her cause of death is given as "Fatty degeneration of the heart, duration unknown". She was only 48.
Would this be a reason to be institutionalized, or could it have accompanied another condition that put her there in the first place?  My Mother had a great fear of phsyciatric hospitals and used to tell me that they did horrible things to her father's first wife, so I think she was there for some time and for other reasons.
Also, on the Entry of Death, under Occupation, it gives the home address and the following:  Ada Phillips, Wife of _________Phillips.  Is there a reason why the spouse's given name is blank?  Have read a number of articles on Asylums' at this time but have not encountered anything that would explain how the families of these unfortunate's dealt with the stigma, or how society in general reacted.
I read an old post from 2006 from someone who contacted the Worcestershire Library and History Centre(where these records are held) for assistance in his own search. He provided an email address of:       WLHC@worcestershire.gov.uk 
I sent an email and it was returned "Address not found"  I have searched and none of the sites I found have an email address nor can I find a mailing address.
Traveling from the states would cost more than anything they could charge me for hard copies of her patient records, if they are available. Any suggestions?
Phillips,  Silvester, Sherlock, Bayliss, Tromans, Price

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Powick Asylum, Was She Abandoned?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 November 17 20:46 GMT (UK) »

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 November 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Also, on the Entry of Death, under Occupation, it gives the home address and the following:  Ada Phillips, Wife of _________Phillips.

Perhaps the person who informed didn't know the name of her spouse especially if she died there.

Is she on a census in the asylum or was she there after 1911? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline 3Kittycats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 November 17 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
She was on the 1911 census living at home with her husband and child. Haven't found any information on her for the years after 1911.

George Frederick Phillips 38
Ada Violet Phillips 38
Lillian Violet Phillips 3

Living at 90 Carlyle Rd. Aston Manor.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 November 17 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Try the email in the link 3Kittycats gave - however be prepared that they may not release for another 3 years.

Leicestershire archives were fantastic to me in a similar situation but said that it was because in my case he had died in 1914, over 100 years ago otherwise they couldn't have released the information to me

This article links fatty heart degeneration with some forms of mental health issues https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5122101/pdf/jpmedmentpath268541-0166.pdf

There are also some reasons with cause the fatty heart which can cause insanity - for example arsenic poisoning - or it may be completely conincidental,

Offline 3Kittycats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 November 17 23:31 GMT (UK) »
iolaus,

Thanks for the info, was extremely interesting. Do you know when this was first published?

3Kittycats3

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 November 17 00:03 GMT (UK) »
My grandmothers sister was 52 when she died in Rainhill Mental hospital in 1946 having spent over 20yrs there.  My grandmother always maintained she was suffering from post natal depression and "milk fever" having had her first child in 1920 - 7yrs after she married

Out of curiosity I bought her death cert and cause of death was Chronic Myocardial Degeneration and Hypertension
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 November 17 17:50 GMT (UK) »
iolaus,

Thanks for the info, was extremely interesting. Do you know when this was first published?

3Kittycats3

I think it was 1877 - around that time anyway, definately 19th century

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 November 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
My grandmothers sister was 52 when she died in Rainhill Mental hospital in 1946 having spent over 20yrs there.  My grandmother always maintained she was suffering from post natal depression and "milk fever" having had her first child in 1920 - 7yrs after she married

Out of curiosity I bought her death cert and cause of death was Chronic Myocardial Degeneration and Hypertension

Same situation with one of my mother's cousins.  Her sisters tried to get her out but their brother-in-law refused to sign the release paper and he eventually re-married.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke