Author Topic: FRANCE: French Birth Certificate  (Read 26913 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: French Birth Certificate
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 08:16 BST (UK) »
D'oh!  Didn't realise that Cal had already posted a reply on this thread!  :-[  Anyway, as I said, you might get lucky.  perhaps the "less than 100 years" thing meant that the newer records are held in a different place from the older ones.

Offline UKgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 08:45 BST (UK) »
I have found some great information, quite detailed. I shall post it as it might help someone else. (Hopefully, it will help me too!)

http://genealogy.about.com

Then down the left-hand side under "Articles & Resources" there is a section "Genealogy By Country".

There is very helpful information under the section for France, including:

1).  "Beginners Guide to Researching Your French Ancestry".

2).  "How to Request French Genealogy Records by Mail"

3).  "Model Letter for requesting French Genealogy Records"

It is stated that "when records are 100 years old, they are placed in the Archives for the town's Department".

(So, thank you again Geoff for that Archives address).

But whether an English blacksmith's wife giving birth in Le Havre could be classed under "French Ancestry" is quite another matter!   ;D ;D ;D !!!

UKgirl
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GeoffP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Irish Grandmother Julia Sexton(Moxham)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi UK Girl,

I was just about to crosscheck but was sure that the records would be in the archives and not in the Town Hall (Mairie). I hope that there is something recorded for you.
Good luck and if I can help don't hesitate to contact me.

If you apply by post it will certainly take some time.
                                             Regards
                                                           Geoff
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Peirce/Pierce/Pearce: Hungerford,Berks/Burbage Wilts.              
   Moxham: Monkton Farleigh, Wilts
   Sexton:Cork,Ireland, New York

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoff P - Went into the Rouen website you gave me and filled in online form.  However, I was only able to put in the year of birth and it would not accept until I had entered the correct format - and gave as an example  (JJ/MM/AAA or JJMMAA or JJ.MM.AA.)
I take it they are wanting the day and  month also which I am unable to supply. Any suggestions please ?
Many thanks.

Offline GeoffP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Irish Grandmother Julia Sexton(Moxham)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet (Emmeline)

I see what you mean. I think that you will have to contact the archives especially as it is more than 100 years.
Details are given below. It might be worth sending an e-mail to see if they can help you.
                                                    Regards
                                                               Geoff

76 - SEINE-MARITIME

Département de la Seine-Maritime. Archives départementales. Armelle Sentilhes. Quai Jean Moulin, 76101 Rouen Cedex. Tél. : 02.35.03.54.95 ; télécopie : 02.35.03.56.89 ; courriel : mary-francoise.breant[AT]cg76.fr. Lu.-Ve. 9 h 30 à 17 h 30 ; Sa. 9 h à 12 h (les 1er et 3e samedis du mois sauf veille de fête). Bâtiment annexe. 27 rue Lucien Fromage, 76160 Darnétal. Tél. : 02.35.03.56.49 ; télécopie : 02.32.12.19.37. Ma. 9 h à 12 h, Me. 9 h à 12 h et 14 h à 17 h. Fermeture annuelle pour les deux dépôts : du 1er au 8 juillet et du 24 au 31 décembre. www.cg76.fr/a

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please replace [AT] with @
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Peirce/Pierce/Pearce: Hungerford,Berks/Burbage Wilts.              
   Moxham: Monkton Farleigh, Wilts
   Sexton:Cork,Ireland, New York

Offline UKgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Casalguidi,

A belated thank you for the suggestion about the baptism of the younger child-"perhaps they were baptised together". I myself had wondered that. I have other ancestors where several children were baptised en masse. In this particular case, though, although I already have the birth certificate for the younger child, it is unlikely that I will ever find the baptism record. Too many unknowns, church name (too many possibilities); year baptised, etc. and also no access (not on IGI).

And thank you too for the example of the page of C of E baptisms. I am an idiot really, because I also have photocopies of such baptism records for some of my own ancestors, and of course several babies/families are listed on each page. I just hadn't realised that that was what you were talking about- one of those dopey moments- the words "Calais", "lace-maker" and "Dover, Kent" made the whole topic seem so much more exotic that I had completely forgotten about having such baptism records for my own dear folks :-[

Thanks again,

UKgirl
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: FRANCE: French Birth Certificate
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 21:54 BST (UK) »
Dear GeoffP - Many thanks for your detailed reply and thank you for the trouble you take in seeking out this information. I shall bring out the French/English dictionary and try again! George H. was the only child born in France - the rest in  England - Liverpool, Peterborough, London . There were 10 children in all but I have not yet found a marriage certificate for Robert & Mary Ann. I sometimes wonder if there was a possibility they were married in France - what do you think the likelihood of that would have been ?
Sending my appreciation.........

Offline wilkipet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 September 05 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmeline,
I am not surprised that you did not receive ananswer yet. The month of August in France and some other European countries (like Spain) is a no month. Everyone is on Holiday . They will be waking up about now. It is called the Rentree. August is the month to visit Paris!
Gerald.
Wilkinson-farnham, fell-notts, Bolton-notts,Holmes-Derby's, yeomans-Derby's, shaw-Derby's. Davies-Glam, Tilling-Glos, Gibby, Harries-Pembrokeshire,Godley-Whitwell etc. coalminiing migration

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 09 September 05 22:17 BST (UK) »
Dear wilkipet - Thanks so much for the  information. So that's the reason !  I think the French and the Spanish have the right idea on holidays and siestas. Have visited France just once and hope I'm not too old to visit Spain someday. Sending you greetings from New Zealand and hope you enjoy Rootschat - it's a great site.