Author Topic: WW1 Frederick Manson - Army or Navy? Confused!  (Read 2622 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
WW1 Frederick Manson - Army or Navy? Confused!
« on: Thursday 16 November 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am somewhat confused at present & not at all sure that I have got the right chap that I thought that I had! I need fresh eyes to take a look for me please.

Allow me to explain. The Chap in question Frederick Manson appears on a website linked from a thread that I looked at here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=782631.0

His entry on the website in question is here: http://ww1hull.org.uk/index.php/streets-people-came-from/search-for-people-who-died/LIVERPOOLSTREET/4553-manson

The problem is that the Frederick Manson that they have him down as, cannot be correct! The reasons for my saying this are as follows:

In a newspaper article (The Hull Daily Mail) of January 27th 1917 a report of his fathers (Frankland/Franklin Manson) funeral appears & states the following:

"All the sons (3) are with the colours. One in the Field Artillery, one in the infantry (at present in France), and the other in the Navy. This last one has recently been home on leave after serving in the Mediterranean for many months"

The one in the field artillery was Frederick's brother John Frankland Manson & the one in the infantry was his other brother Charles Manson (known as G Charles on WW1 records), he sadly died whilst on active service on 8th Sept 1917. That leaves the last one being in the Navy & that is Frederick!

Frederick Manson (1895-1962) number K 21467 joined the Navy on 16th December 1913 leaving in early 1929. The reason that he had 'recently been home on leave' was that he had got married to Lily Hayton in early 1917. He & Lily had four children & Frederick died in 1962.

On his Naval records he is shown as a joiner/joiners apprentice. In 1911 he is shown as an apprentice wheelwright & joiner at Leconfield nr Beverley in Yorkshire.

Frederick Manson was the son of Frankland/Franklin & Jane Manson (Nee' Spink)

Have I made a monumental cockup or has the website made a mistake? If so what should I do about it? I have not come across this before & the last thing that I want to do is cause offence/upset to anyone as regards the website.

My thanks for reading this & for any & all assistance given.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Frederick Manson - Army or Navy? Confused!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 17 00:04 GMT (UK) »
David when you look at the CWGC site there is very little information on the F Manson who died.  I think there has been an assumption made.
We don't know from there if F is for Frederick or not.  Is there a fourth son with the initial F?  If not then I would have a look to see if you can find any further information on F Manson to back your claim and present it to the website.  I will check the register of soldiers effects to see if there are any clues there.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 November 17 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I agree with NJ - have you confirmed that the date of birth given on the Naval records for Frederick Manson is the same as your Frederick?

From CWGC - no name or date of birth given.

MANSON, F

Service Number 28442

Died 13/04/1917

8th Bn.
East Yorkshire Regiment
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 17 00:11 GMT (UK) »
It would be interesting to know if the man is recorded as F Manson on the War Memorial or Frederick.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 November 17 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Back again.  The register says M and sole legatee Catherine.  I presume the M stands for mother. 
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 November 17 00:14 GMT (UK) »
H Nanna52,

David when you look at the CWGC site there is very little information on the F Manson who died.  I think there has been an assumption made.
We don't know from there if F is for Frederick or not.

I would tend to agree with you that an assumption has been made. As you say the CWGC entry doesn't have much info, just F for the first name & no age given.

Is there a fourth son with the initial F? 

There was a fourth son Frankland Manson but he was born & died in March Qtr 1886.

The number of children for Frankland/Franklin & Jane on the website is also wrong, they say 10, they actually had 12.

Many thanks for checking the soldiers effects register, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 November 17 00:15 GMT (UK) »
So that doesn't fit with the name of his mother  - Jane. Also if it was your Frederick, then surely the sole legatee would be his wife, Lilly?

Wrong person!

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 November 17 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nanna52,

Back again.  The register says M and sole legatee Catherine.  I presume the M stands for mother.

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

I would tend to agree that the M probably stands for mother.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 November 17 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

I'm glad its not just me that thinks its the wrong Frederick! Had me scrambling, checking my research though! ;D

Kind regards

David