Author Topic: Seven missing Gibney's  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seven missing Gibney's
« on: Friday 17 November 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Helllo there

I have posted a question on this family years ago, but just general as I had no idea of the area to concentrate on.
But I have just received this from a gentleman in America.
As a word of explanation I have been researching a shipwreck for the last three years and the book is about to come out, this information is to late for the book. But the website is remaining as a free resource www.anniejane.net This is my obsession to find all of the emigrants who perished aboard so I will keep updating the website as long as I live. The site of the graves two large pits where 350 bodies where thrown in has been lost. Once the book is published I will be focusing on raising funds to find the exact location of the remains.
The letter I have posted below.

Sir, I am very interested in information on this tragedy. I really appreciate what you and others are trying to accomplish. I noticed in one newspaper account that there were seven Gibneys that were feared lost in the disaster. There were four males and three females. Most if not all the names were commonly used first names in my family. I have been trying to discover my roots in Ireland for over sixty years. I have as a result much experience in this type of research. Due to family experiences much family history of my Gibney line had been lost. (house fires etc.) Last year with the release of new church records I was able to put together much family history from Ireland. One thing that I had relied on in previous study of the family history was the memories of my father’s first cousin Peter Gibney. He lived to be one hundred and lived with my Great Grand Parents Thomas and Ann Gibney until about the age of nine. He relayed to me that some of his Great Grandfather’s brothers and sisters may have died on ship on their way over to America. We have never been able to find any of them. The first question I would have is would any of the deceased been from County Dublin. It seems perhaps unlikely but is there anyway to find that out ? Particularly the group of 80+ who boarded late may have heard about the openings that happened as a result of the ships problems. There were seven Gibneys listed as lost. 1853 would have been about the time that they would have left Ireland.

Lets see if we can find them. Head of the family probably oldest would have been: Martha then William, John, Robert, Margaret, Jane, Alexander. I have tended to find family's listed from youngest to oldest. Don't assume that is all; as infants sharing their parents berths tended not to be listed at all.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Allan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seven missing Gibney's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 17 11:05 GMT (UK) »
No need to start a new topic- your earlier one is still here  ;)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730214.msg5749781#msg5749781

From other threads you have on RC it looks as though the passengers came from all over Ireland so entirely possible some came from Dublin or surrounding counties.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 17 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello again

I have just received some more specific information from Mike, I have posted it below.
Mike is now 77 and lives over in America so obviously difficult for him.
So lets see if we can do this, clear up Mike's family mystery and add the family origins to the Annie Jane website.
If anybody feels they have any connection to Mike then PM me and I will pass it on.

Thanks for reading
Allan

The parents were John Gibney and Margaret Kearney Gibney. They were likely born just before 1800. The first child that was born and all baptized at Blanchardstown was Patrick in 1817, Thomas in 1819, John in 1824, Margaret in 1825 I know that they had at least three other children and there may have been more.  I did find one other Gibney family baptized at Blanchardstown at about the same time. Blanchardstown at the time would have had about 500 people more or less. There were other Gibney families around the are just south Lucan, New Castle and down to Saggart. There were some in the area of Dunboyne as well. They were generally farmers,leasers of land and also called herdsman. As I mentioned our 1st cousin had passed along the information about deaths on the way over. This was of course common and perhaps they did not want a small boy age 5-8 years old to hear of such a great tragedy. Thank you very much

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 17 13:24 GMT (UK) »
 Death results for Gibney of Celbridge Registration District  from 1864 to 1880

Displaying results 1 - 7 of 7.  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l2j/

Images not online yet, maybe you get Parents....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 17 13:32 GMT (UK) »
No need to start a new topic- your earlier one is still here  ;)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730214.msg5749781#msg5749781

From other threads you have on RC it looks as though the passengers came from all over Ireland so entirely possible some came from Dublin or surrounding counties.

Another thread started....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=730214.0

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
The post I put on the other thread by mistake
Blanchardstown Parish records
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0466

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 November 17 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that everyone and sorry for the confusion, a lesson for me there. I have been chastised and accepted as my due. It will not happen again.

I have let Mike know about the thread and asked him to have a look.
I don't have the time today but will look through the posts tomorrow.
Problem is to be definite I need an exact match.

Thanks again Allan

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 November 17 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that everyone and sorry for the confusion, a lesson for me there. I have been chastised and accepted as my due. It will not happen again.

I have let Mike know about the thread and asked him to have a look.
I don't have the time today but will look through the posts tomorrow.
Problem is to be definite I need an exact match.

Thanks again Allan

It isn't a matter of chastisement but advice!

You can't really expect people to go searching for one thread and read it, then go looking for another thread somewhere and read it, then read this thread and try to remember what has been posted on those threads and try to find what has or has not been found.

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 December 17 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello everybody

I have not forgotten about this, the work goes on, if you could follow this link please.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783480.new#new

Thanks Allan