Author Topic: Norfolk Record Office- Wills  (Read 3851 times)

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norfolk Record Office- Wills
« on: Saturday 18 November 17 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone going to the NRO please I need to verify my information on all my Peter Rix's, I hope the wills name relatives.

Peter Rix (senior) 1763 NCC Roper 349

Peter Rix (junior) 1773 NCC  Dyball 183

Peter Rix 1792 ANW 1792 fo 4 no. 3

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Norfolk Record Office- Wills
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 November 17 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Surprisingly they are currently viewable on Familysearch outside of their FHCs.

Film no 173383 covers the 1792 ANW Will you are interested in - https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/504379?availability=Family%20History%20Library.

NCC 1763 is film no 1545288 and 1773 is 1545299 - https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/410095?availability=Family%20History%20Library.

Interestingly the Archdeaconry of Norfolk Registered Wills are restricted to FHCs but the Original Wills, which they only have to about 1704, appear accessible.  I wonder if its a mistake so could well become restricted when they realise.

I'm going to an FHC this morning so had a look at the catalogue.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 17 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link, what I would give for an index right now.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
There are some indexes on Familysearch but I use nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk and then select "Category Searches" and then "Wills and other probate records".  Many of the search result entries if you click on details give you the volume number as well as the folio, but even when they don't you just look for the year on Familysearch.  I normally use the top two search boxes for either surname and then first name or place in the second search box, avoids issues with where the commas appear in their index. You can use * as a wildcard on the search as well.

Interesting how much better the NCC Wills are on the digitised microfilms compared to the microfilms held at Norfolk RO.  As I'm pretty sure the microflms at Norwich were done by the LDS, it tends to suggest that the issues may be with the microfilm copying as the LDS hold the master copies as far as I know.  Several Wills we've obtained copies of from Norwich and which are almost unreadable in a lot of places, the copies on Familysearch are perfectly readable.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 November 17 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Three thousand five hundred pages even digitized have me defeated without an index.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 November 17 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I am most grateful.

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 November 17 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I am attempting to use this info to get copies of two wills (as a start); in the catalogue I have

Archdeaconry of Norfolk Probate Records
Wills
Will Registers
Will register
CatalogueRef    ANF will register 1783-1786 fo. 253 (1785 no. 24)
Title    Womack, Robert, younger, of North Lopham
Date    1785

AND

Archdeaconry of Norfolk Probate Records
Wills
Will Registers
Will register
CatalogueRef    ANF will register 1790-1792 fo. 329 (1792 no. 64)
Title    Womack, Robert, of North Lopham
Date    1792

So they should be here:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/504379?availability=Family%20History%20Library

(Wills and administrations, 1469-1857
Authors:
Church of England. Archdeaconry of Norwich. Court (Main Author))

In particular:

Regd. copy wills, v. 115-116 1782-1785
Family History Library
British Film

Sounds like the right film for the first will. But the folio and will numbers simply don't tie up.

The last folio number for film 008077068 (644 images) is 163, and the last will number is 95.

So I'm doing something very wrong.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 November 17 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
ANF is Archdeaconry of Norfolk
But, sadly, smudwhisk gave us some bad news about those

Interestingly the Archdeaconry of Norfolk Registered Wills are restricted to FHCs but the Original Wills, which they only have to about 1704, appear accessible.  I wonder if its a mistake so could well become restricted when they realise.

Sorry
John