Author Topic: Joining a family history group  (Read 5008 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joining a family history group
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 November 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »
@ LizzieL

Have you asked them why they require all that information or do you intend to ? If you do ask them it would be interesting to see what explanation they give. (Oh and I would not give all that information as I can see no justifiable reason why they should need it).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 November 17 22:22 GMT (UK) »
You could always tell them you have a family tree on Ancestry and make it up ;D

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 November 17 22:42 GMT (UK) »
"Why do you find it so unbelievable that my father, grandfather, brothers and uncles are all called Joe Bloggs? It's a FAMILY name!"

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 November 17 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Your profile does not indicate where about in England you are, but most counties are covered by local Family History  Societies under the National Federation. I would strongly advise joining one of these, for a small annual subscription you get quarterly journals and the opportunity to attend meetings.

You can either join a Society local to you, or one in the area your family have connections to, I belong to several. If one meets close to where you live, then you can attend their meetings and listen to some expert speakers, you get the chance to discuss your problems with others who can often help with tips and advice.

Joining a Society in county where your family lived, gives you the chance of contacting people with good local knowledge. A Society often has its own research centre where they hold a their own records and transcriptions, members will often do local research for you, look for graves or take photographs of places you can't visit from a distance.

You certainly would not be asked for any personal details, just your name and address. It will then be up to you to register the names you are researching in their members interests section if you wish, this gives you the chance to find if others are searching the same families.

I have made lots of contacts, and received help over the years, and have reciprocated.  I hope you find this suggestion of help.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 November 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
It was joining our local U3A family history group that got us started on family history many years ago, although we did not fill in any forms our leader, who was a rootschatters then, needed to know these details to get us started, but kept no records.

It sounds like your U3A is more for getting people started, rather than a group meeting to discuss finer details of wills and and land records, I think you may be too advanced for them. :) :)

Some U3As are very formal and take things very seriously, others like ours are informal and very friendly, with everyone contributing.

It is amazing what knowledge is out there amongst the retired generation.

Mike

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 November 17 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Amateurs have even less justification in asking for un-necessary information.     

Agree, Ray,  I was just trying to rationalise some reasoning behind their form ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 November 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, I've just realised, very often the first thing we ask a newcomer to rootschat is  "tell us what you already know", and yes i appreciate thisdoes not include personal information, but the principle is the same.

Mike

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 November 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
My local U3A allows members to attend one meeting of a group they are interested in, to see whether it suits them before committing to joining.

Perhaps your U3A also allows this.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 November 17 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Just remember that many organisations use your mother's maiden name as part of their "security".

Martin