Author Topic: Margaret Harper c 1836 Wales - d 1910 Chewton, Victoria  (Read 8208 times)

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Harper c 1836 Wales - d 1910 Chewton, Victoria
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 07:54 GMT (UK) »
You are most welcome Sue,

Do you have access to Ancestry? That’s were I have seen lots of trees. Off hand I reckon every child of theirs who married and has descendants, is featured in several public trees. Enjoy;)

The tree that I made for my auntie’s beau is private, so just ask via here if you want to know anything further;)

Salute,
Janelle

Offline Barry John Williams

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 06 April 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
My family believe that we are the direct descendants of Margaret Harper & Gerorge Williams,who appear to have had 11 children.
Strangely though,our great grandfather John Henry has not been listed in their record of births.We believe he was born in Chewton on 11th June 1863.
Which is the best way to verify this please
With Thanks
Sue

Sue,

I have 12 Children for GWW and Margaret, as follows

1855  Mary Ann
1857  George Oswald (Haswell on his baptism)
1859 William Nathan  **
1861  John Henry  ^^
1863  Eliza
1864  Emma
1866  Alfred Robert
1868  Richard Walter
1870  Edward
1872 Agnes Louisa
1874  Charles Ernest
1876  Ellen Letitia

Victoria BDM site
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj
only throws up 9 children for me - your John Henry is missing, and the eldest child Mary Ann b 1855. Some juggling of what you put in the expanded fields for father and mother's maiden name might give you success. Maybe you can contact the Registrar in Melbourne for a physical search covering the time period.
https://assets.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/transactions/family+history+help+guide

** William Nathan was my friend's great grandfather, and your John Henry was the next child for them at Fryers Creek, just outside Chewton, then the next sister Eliza was registered 1863.

^^ JH's death 24 May 1911 is before his birthday of 11 June, so he would have been just shy of 49, so birth year was 1862?

Your John Henry is in 2 public trees, and a pic of his son Vincent John with son's wife Lorna Doone Hill. what an amazing name!! Like being Tess D'urberville Smith  ;D 8)
The Blackmore who wrote LD was a cousin to the husband of my 5th great aunt Frances Warren, in and around Clayhidon, Devon.  ;D 8)

Have you checked out the 2011 posts by Teresa1 on here? Wonderful stuff ... But she isn't active these days.

I can not find evidence of how GWW or Margaret arrive separately at the gold fields.
Londoners aren't working as gold miners in London, but he never does anything else until he dies.

Anc*'s Australian Birth Index has Margaret's maiden name as ... Puceinall, against Mary Ann's registration.  :o bizzare, no wonder it isn't for me on Vic bdm,  ;D

I have found 2 of Margaret's siblings' baptisms using FindMyPast and anc*.

Salute,
Janelle

Hi Janelle-----My name is Barry Williams.My great grandfather was John Henry Williams whose mother was Margaret Harper of whom you have described.Just wondering------the picture assigned to your name----is that Margaret Harper??????  Kind Regards   Barry

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 17 June 18 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Barry,

Apologies for not replying sooner. A belated WELCOME to Rootschat.

No, the lovely lady as my avatar was my great grandmother, b 1861 Tyrone, Ireland.
She was not connected to your family.

I'm not related to Margaret Harper.
Margaret Harper was my friend's 2nd great grandmother.

Do you know any of Margaret or George's history?
Have you any information about their origins that came directly from what John Henry knew about his parents?

George always gave London as his birthplace, but his age is very fluid. Was he in Victoria for long before gold was discovered? He always worked as a gold miner, from the time of his marriage to 17 year old Margaret 1853, but its not a London occupation.

and Margaret ... were her parents or any other Harper family in Australia? Her father was a soldier, probably posted to the Caribbean after she was born - see all the threads about Duncan Harper c 2011 by Teresa1 and others, and one very interesting and informative reply about his regiment.

Put Duncan Harper into the search box above ...

Anyway, happy to help you with Margaret and her family any way I can,

Janelle

Offline SueX

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 17 May 20 01:06 BST (UK) »
I have some information re George Haswell Williams and Margaret Williams (Harper).
The house he built in Fryerstown in 1859 is still standing and is lived in! The stonework is quite beautiful!
We found a book in the Chewton Historic Centre that details the house history.
It says ‘In 1859 George,an enterprising local miner and storekeeper who established a thriving brick building operation in Fryerstown bought a property and built the main dwelling near High Street.On the death of Margaret in 1910 it was sold’.
I can give more details if anyone is interested.
Also does anyone know when George was born? I had thought that because his death certificate said he died at 60 in 1892 it would be 1832, but on his son William Nathan’s birth certificate it would infer he was born in 1821.
I also have a photo of George Haswell via a descendent of Albert Robert.
Regards
Sue E

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 13 September 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hello descendants of Margaret Harper,

Today I noticed that someone has put a screenshot of my great grandmother Minnie against Margaret in their public ancestry trees.

I am very disappointed about this - upset is not too strong a word.
I am feeling that this act is theft from me and my family. 

I did point out to Suex when she asked about the picture of Minnie that I had until today as my avatar,
that I and Minnie are no relatives of your family.

I would appreciate anyone who has put Minnie into their Margaret Harper profile to delete her.

Thankyou for reading,
Janelle