Author Topic: Georgina Drysdale, born 19 February 1900  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Georgina Drysdale, born 19 February 1900
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 11:10 GMT (UK) »
No I haven't. I don't use flikr but it sounds like I need to start.
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Georgina's burial information is on microfilm at North Shields library:

Preston Cemetery
Entry no. 2951
Age 18
Daughter of James Drysdale
Place of death: 2 Halliday Place, Tynemouth
Date of burial: 26 November 1918
Buried unconsecrated ground no. 58
Ceremony performed by Andrew Fallon

You could try looking for her grave at the back of the cemetery where the war graves are or perhaps you may find her in the RC section nearby.  The burial record does not record which specific section she is in unfortunately.

Best Wishes :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
No I haven't. I don't use flikr but it sounds like I need to start.

Michael, had you not noticed that you have several other (hopefully) helpful answers before Radcliff's  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 12:37 GMT (UK) »
You could try looking for her grave at the back of the cemetery where the war graves are or perhaps you may find her in the RC section nearby.  The burial record does not record which specific section she is in unfortunately.

I think Michael might already have found it as he’s  put a photo of her gravestone on his other thread (see reply #1)  :-\

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Georgina's burial information is on microfilm at North Shields library:

As it was a CWGC war grave, the plot details are available (if Michael doesn't already have them) on her page on the CWGC site https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/658608/drysdale,-georgina/
see the documents link at the bottom of the page
Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this clarification JenB and Boo.  I was only on a flying visit to North Shields library when I noticed this post so only looked for the burial quickly.  At least from my search, the place of death is found.

I have just found that a photo of her grave is also on that great website - 'North East War Memorials Project'.  She was a telephonist.

http://www.newmp.org.uk

Best Wishes  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Michael, had you not noticed that you have several other (hopefully) helpful answers before Radcliff's  :-\

Hi All,

Sorry for the delayed reply, yes Jen I had seen them but was looking on my phone and rudely missed acknowledging them, I'm sorry for that everyone.

I have had some information from the military forum I mentioned as follows:

Her ship is given as "Satellite". Clerk from enlistment on 22/4/18 until 24/10/18. Then telephonist.
A quick look on web suggests HMS Satellite was a corvette being used as a Drill Ship for RNR on the Tyne at the time of her service.
Her record shows "immobile" that apparently means she was only willing to work close to home.
My understanding is there was a campaign to get women to take these shore-based jobs to "free a man" for war service. About 5000 ladies answered the call. So she was a volunteer.
I suspect ordering a death certificate will be needed to work out what she died of but given the date the spanish flu would be high on my list of suspects.

Georgina Drysdale is mentioned on the Scottish National War Memorial {twice}, although this doesn't add any additional information.
She is also mentioned in the Marine Returns on Scotlandspeople, but this is unlikely to give exact cause of death.

I've also found this about HMS Satellite:

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/lifestyle/nostalgia/homing-in-on-satellite-quay-1-6440410

I have visited her grave a number of times, if anyone knows the cemetery she is just on the left through the main gates on Walton Ave and can actually be seen from the road through the railings.

I was also going to try and do the same as River Tyne Lass at the weekend and have a look in the library at the microfilm in case her COD was listed - it obviously isn't. I'm still going to have a look as they have folders of information by surname so they might have a little more there.

I'm guessing she probably has been a victim of the Spanish Flu but it would be good to have some evidence of that rather than guessing and a photo of her would be fantastic to really help bring her to life.

Thanks for the help everyone, I do appreciate it.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,

In addition to the folders it might also be a good idea to look at the 'Whitley Seaside Chronicle and Visitor's Gazette' which is on microfilm at the library for an additional death notice or a memoriam which may give clues.  This paper often had reports and notices for those living in the Tynemouth area.

The library also has two large volumes of the Royal Navy Roll of Honour.  The first one relates to people and the 2nd relates to the vessels they served on.

For what it's worth I have just checked the Evening Chronicle for possible notices on my way home tonight.  However, I am afraid there is nothing in this paper. 

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Michael, did you know that Georgina is also commemorated on the North Tyneside 'Northumbria World War One' project?
http://northumbriaworldwarone.co.uk/interactive/ (search panel top of page)
Sadly there is no more information there than you already have or have been given here. If you do find any more information you could perhaps get it added to this database?