Author Topic: Question about transcriptions of NSW Certificates  (Read 850 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Question about transcriptions of NSW Certificates
« on: Tuesday 21 November 17 05:09 GMT (UK) »
I am considering ordering a full transcription of a NSW 1903 marriage certificate (the first time I've done so).

I presume that as it is called a "transcription" the contents of the certificate are copied (written or typed up).

Does anyone know why the certificate is not photographed instead. As the agents offer to send the transcription via email it would surely be easier to snap and then simply forward the image. It would be preferable to see the words as written on the certificate in case of any difficult to interpret words, and to see the signatures etc.

Apologies if this question has been asked before - I did have a quick search but didn't notice an obvious topic.  :)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Question about transcriptions of NSW Certificates
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 09:39 GMT (UK) »
I'd say it is something to do with what the Registrar allows them to do.
At least that is how it was all set up originally.

A photo/scan is not a transcription, and supposedly could be seen as doing the Registry out of income?
The only signature you are likely to see on a certificate from NSW BDM registry is that of the registrar on the bottom of the typed certificate, certifying that it is all correct.

Unless it is from the pre-1856 records when sometimes you get the participants' signatures, but often it is itself a transcription, i.e. all the writing is in the same hand.

Also, with a transcription from these agents, you can order just particular parts of the record, which costs less than a full transcription.
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation Dawn. I suspected the writing on the certificates may be copied from the originals. Never mind.

I did nitice that you can get a part transcription, but I think I might as well go for the full thing as it's only a couple of extra dollars.  :)

(It is the groom's father's name and groom's occupation I am most interested in.)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Dawn has given excellent advice.   

May I add that the Official Transcribers are appointed by NSW BDM as Agents with licence to transcribe the information found on the NSW BDM's registers.  They are excellent and are very familiar with not just the style of longhand used in NSW but also they have deep knowledge of the various clergy's handwriting as they have been providing transcription services for NSW BDM for umm... years and years and years.  They are not licenced to provide images of the those registers.  The NSW BDM's certified 1903 marriage cert should include the image of the information held by NSW BDM, so should include the original signatures of the bride, the groom, their official witnesses, the clergy/officiating officer, and the registrar/deputy registrar etc.  NSW BDM's certificates are more expensive that the transcription documents.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the additional background information JM. Although it is always interesting to see the original signatures, in this case it is only the father's name, occupation and groom's occupation that I need to progress. This is not my family but curiosity has got the better of me so worth a $20 investment I think.  :)