Author Topic: Who was Sir ISAAC WOLLASTON's wife?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Sir ISAAC WOLLASTON's wife?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 November 17 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Not sure why but in those days the calendar was different, seems very confusing to me;

Quote;

During the years of transition between the first introduction of the Gregorian calendar in continental Europe and its introduction in Britain, contemporary usage in England started to change.[3] In Britain 1 January was celebrated as the New Year festival,[8] but the "year starting 25th March was called the Civil or Legal Year, although the phrase Old Style was more commonly used."[3] To reduce misunderstandings about the date, it was normal in parish registers to place a new year heading after 24 March (for example "1661") and another heading at the end of the following December, "1661/62", to indicate that in the following few weeks the year was 1661 Old Style but 1662 New Style

It all changed again in 1752 :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 November 17 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes that could be the problem. Really causes some headaches!!

Pell Gatward dies 27 Oct 1741.
Sarah Rowlands March Gatward marries Isaac Wollaston 6 Mar 1741.
Sarah and Isaac have little Sarah on 19 Nov 1742.

Something wrong with that timeline! If the 6 Mar 1741 old style should be 6 Mar 1741/2 new style, that could be OK.

Heiresses did not last long in the marriage stakes those days!!!

As you say, Trish, confusing!!!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 November 17 08:54 GMT (UK) »
1741 ended on 24 March. 1742 began on 25 March. Thus it was until our calendar changed in 1752 which was a short year of 282 days.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_(New_Style)_Act_1750
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 November 17 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Ok so everything birth/marriage/death that happened early 1742 up until 24 March was listed as 1741 or 1741/42.
Thanks ShaunJ :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 November 17 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ShaunJ that makes sense of it now. So pleased it was not a transcription error.

Putting this in the new style calender it would read:

Pell Gatward dies 27 Oct 1741.
Sarah Rowlands March Gatward marries Isaac Wollaston 6 Mar 1742.
Sarah and Isaac have little Sarah on 19 Nov 1742.

Thank you too for the Wikepedia link. That was an interesting article. I often wondered why the UK tax year starts on 6 Apr. Although I realised that for many things the end of the year was 31st March even though the year started on 1 Jan. Living in Oz for over forty years this had slipped to the back of my mind. Here it is equally mad, the year starts on 1 Jan but the end of the financial year is 30th June!

The 6 Apr in UK did have some useful offshoots. I do not know what happens now but in the fifties if one got married at the end of the tax year a man could claim tax benefit for his wife for the whole of that year.  A lot of marriages took place the weekend before the end of the tax year and the few weekends before!! When Easter was early Churches were busy. We were married on Easter Monday at the end of the tax year.

I suppose that may be a Rootschat style question in 100 years - why were there so many marriages in March and early April!!!!!!!!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 November 17 02:41 GMT (UK) »
Quote;
I suppose that may be a Rootschat style question in 100 years - why were there so many marriages in March and early April!!!!!!!!

So true Pelican!

Trish (in Sydney) :)