Author Topic: DNA Testing  (Read 2635 times)

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 November 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
just want to add my experience :)
I bought kits for myself and my Dad from Ancestry (buying a DNA also gives you discount on subscriptions)
anyway,
also uploaded them to Gedmatch where you can phase them and make another kit that contains all the DNA that you got from your mum amongst other things.
So between the 2 sites I have been able to confirm a major part of my tree (Lloyd) and confirm a 'guess' that has got me back another couple of generations due to the matches I have been in contact with and am currently working on 'Taylor' that has been a brickwall for years but I'm in contact now with 2 branches of that family, so to me it was worth every penny.
Have just got one for my mum in the sale too, my Parents are in their early eighties , and are loving all the info that is coming out about their past
A

Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 November 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Am I at a disadvantage if I do an Ancestry DNA test even though I don't subscribe to Ancestry?

Do I still get to contact anyone that the results say I'm connected to? Otherwise, what's the point?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 November 17 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I am not a subscriber to Ancestry, but I have taken an Ancestry DNA test.

I can contact anyone through the Ancestry Messaging System that Ancestry says I am connected to.

Each week I receive an update of “new” connection matches.  People who match with me and have just taken the Ancestry DNA test since the last update.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 November 17 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Thamks for that reassurance. I think I'm convincing myself to go ahead and order a kit - perhaps in the New Year.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Renatha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 December 17 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I just submitted my ANCDNA to FT and though it took about 15 mins for an email saying they had my results, it is going to cost $19 (USD I presume) to "unlock" them.  :-[
BETTS Brisbane, LEWIS Llangurig, PADFIELD Coleford, BUTTON Somerset, LERGESSNER Berlichingen, DONNELLY Tyrone, BETTS Suffolk, NEEDHAM Norfolk.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 December 17 13:04 GMT (UK) »
That's only to unlock more advanced features, straightforward matches are free according to their website here:

https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer#

The relevant para is near the bottom on the left

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Renatha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 December 17 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Okay, thanks for that Jane. I did the same thing with MyHeritage and got the origins for free and just assumed it would be the same.  ::)
BETTS Brisbane, LEWIS Llangurig, PADFIELD Coleford, BUTTON Somerset, LERGESSNER Berlichingen, DONNELLY Tyrone, BETTS Suffolk, NEEDHAM Norfolk.