Author Topic: William Henry Carroll WW1 Gassed?  (Read 815 times)

Offline frankie-d

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Henry Carroll WW1 Gassed?
« on: Thursday 23 November 17 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Family lore has it that my partner's great grandfather William Henry Carroll was seriously disabled after being gassed in WW1, though it didn't stop him from fathering her granddad in 1919. He was born in London c1878, he's in the 1891 census living in Bethnal Green aged 13.

I haven't found any trace of him in the Ancestry military records, so presume his army record was lost in the WW2 bombing. I have found a record on Findmypast in the Silver War Badge Roll record set which looks like it could well be him. If this is him I'd like to find the number of his Company in the Army Service Corps so I can look at the War Diaries held by the National Archives. I'm not very well versed on military records so am wondering if anyone can think of anywhere else to look.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Carroll WW1 Gassed?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 November 17 10:05 GMT (UK) »
"Sickness" was indeed often a result of an earlier gassing but then could also be a multitude of other things.  The one you have found is the only Silver War Badge ASC man of that name so could well be him.  His SS number indicates someone in the supply area who was a butcher, baker or a clerk.  The only other clue is his medal card which has 4 Labour Company.  As he was invalided out in 1916, these ASC Companies had not yet been absorbed into the Labour Corps but one can't be sure that it was the only one he went to war with.  Another clue is that he went to France in October 1914 which says that he was either serving already or had served previously and was in the reserves.

Bad news is that there appears to be no war diary for 4 Labour Company - not unusual, they worked in places like on the docks and tended not to have unit diaries. Being gassed and working on the docks doesn't fit together so if it was gassing that invalided him out, then he must have changed units.

Gloomy I'm afraid but fairly typical lack of result with a man in a regiment/corps like the ASC who are much less well documented that the teeth arms.

MaxD.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Blarney St Beggar

• RootsChat Extra
  • American by birth - Irish but for the Grace of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 17 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Frankie-D,

Interesting. I have an Uncle that has been most difficult to locate. He was also William Henry Carroll. Here is where some of my facts differ with yours. My William Henry was born August 21, 1895 in Ireland. What is interesting is I've had little or no success locating anything other than the 1911 Census. He had 4 other siblings one of which was my mother. His father was a career Soldier who was retired when he was born. Is it possible he also was casualty of WWI?

Could they be the same? If you are certain of your GGfathers 1891 census data than - I'm still on the hunt. William Henry has been very elusive at best. I have located the where about's of all of his siblings but those who have any recollection of the family then know little or nothing of him. Conscription began in 1917 in Ireland while it was still under British rule. He would have been age 21 making him a prime candidate. The name jumped out at me as I have found very few William Henry Carroll's in my search in Ancestry. Any insight is always welcomed.

Blarney St Beggar

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 17 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Is this your William Henry Carroll born Cork 21 Aug 1895
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1895/02199/1831129.pdf
Not with his family in 1901 but with them in 1911 at 1 Barrett's Lane
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__3_Urban/Barrett_s_Lane/385487/
If that's the correct William looks like  he died 1925
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1925/05017/4370574.pdf
In the Cork district hospital, William Carroll, 1 Barrett's Lane, aged 29.

BTW Conscription was never put into effect in Ireland.

Offline Blarney St Beggar

• RootsChat Extra
  • American by birth - Irish but for the Grace of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Sinann,

Thank you so very much. Indeed this resolves much of the mystery as it was rumored that he died an early death. Also, your comment regarding conscription, was something I was unaware of - thanks.

RootChat.com once again solves the problem..Bravo!

Offline frankie-d

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 November 17 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Max - thanks for the info, seems unlikely that I'll get much further but at least I know a bit more.

BSB - glad to see Sinann was able to help you.