Author Topic: John Russell & Marie Bergeron  (Read 1922 times)

Offline myself1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Russell & Marie Bergeron
« on: Thursday 23 November 17 04:11 GMT (UK) »
I have been stuck many years for this is all I have
John Russell born ? & Marie Bergeron had 7 children all born in New Carlise Bonaventure Quebec

Margaret Russell born 1795
Mary Russell born 1797
Jane Russell born 1800
John Russell born Aug,3,1802, married Elizabeth Murray or McMurray of Scotland on July,11,1827 in Beresford New Brunswick
Martha Russell born 1805
James Russell born 1806 married Agnes Ann Howland
Peter Russell born 1812

I have never found a marriage record or place for John Russell & Marie Bergeron.If could find this would be of great help!

thank You all in advance

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Russell & Marie Bergeron
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello and a very warm welcome to RootsChat  :).

I haven't been able to find a marriage either but may have found another child...

Jacques Russel
Born 16 Sep 1808
Baptized 16 Jan 1809
Legitimate son of Jean Russel and Marie Bergeron of Carlisle

Drouin Collection
Bonaventure
1771-1811

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline myself1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 17 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thank You
yes this Jacques Russell you found is their son James Russell I think I just had his year wrong.

Their are records of some sort for Margaret Russell brn 1795
and Mary Russell born 1797  and for
John Russell born Aug,3,1802 and
for James born 1806

Have not yet found records for Jane Russell born 1800 or
Martha Russell born 1805 or
Peter Russell born 1812,it is most likely Peter is Pierre.

I have just been searching and searching for so many years to find this marriage record for John Russell and Marie Bergeron funny we can find their children born starting in 1795 but nothing before this.
We need facts on when and where John Russell and Marie Bergeron were married.
In some of the family history of the lines of their children some say he was Lord John Russell but I have no idea on how this would be.

Offline myself1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »
someone once said that John Russell married to Marie Bergeron was a son of Lady Caroline Russell and again I do not see how it would be. They said she had him unwed.
Honestly my John Russell and Marie Bergeron I am lost on where to even look any more lol as they have been my struggle of research for well over 20 years.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 17 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I had wondered about the Jacques/James. Glad you had him.

Unfortunately, not all records are on line, although the Drouin Collection seems to be pretty complete. When copies were made for the government (I think it is the copies on line) there is always the possibilty that records were missed. Bonaventure had a low population and the priest covered a wide area (several towns if I remember correctly). If he wrote things down on paper to take back to the parish book some things could have been lost. There certainly is no sign of the missing baptism records in the records that are on line.

John and Marie could also have married in New Brunswick.

There is a Pierre Bergeron who is paraine (sponser/godfather) to one of the children. Have you investigated him? Sometimes we need to look sideways.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline myself1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 17 22:24 GMT (UK) »
No I have not.
would you know which child of John Russell and Marie Bergeron that Pierre Bergeron was  God parent of?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 November 17 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Assuming this is the correct Margaret.....

Marie Marguerite (Margaret in English), last name as Rustell (I think)
Born 04 Mar 1896
Baptized 22 May 1896
Father John Rustell
Mother Marie Joseph Bergeron
Paraine Pierre Bergeron
Maraine Marie Joseph Potdevin (Sponsor/Godmother)
St Bonaventure Church Bonaventure County

If I remember correctly, a Pierre Bergeron was married to a Potdevin but not this lady......this lady could be a sister to the wife or something, perhaps.

PB

Offline myself1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 November 17 00:22 GMT (UK) »
The first child we know of born to John Russell & Marie Josephte Bergeron was
Margaret Russell born  4th March 1795,married Jean BELAIR (BLAIR) 4 JUL 1824 in Bonaventure Co., Québec, Canada.

2nd child was
Mary Russell born 21,April,1797, married  Richard POWER 17 SEP 1821 in United Church of England and I, Percé, Gaspé-Est, Québ, son of Thomas(1) POWER and Catherine [--?--]. Richard Power died in 1844

3rd child
Jane Russell born 28,Jan,1800

4th child
John Russell born Aug,3,1802,married Elizabeth Murray or McMurray on 11th,July,1827 in Berseforf New Brunswick.

5th child
Martha Russell born 1805

6th child
James Russell born 16,Sept,1808,married Agnes Ann (Nancy) Howland in 1831 in NewBrunswick

7th child
Peter Russell born 3,March,1812, posibly married Rachel Howland in 1831 in New Brunswick

The mother of these Children
Marie Josephe Bergeron was born June,25,1777 Miriamichi N.B. baptized abt 1783 in Bonaventure Quebec. daughter of  Genevieve POITVIN and Pierre BERGERON

and yes sometimes the surname Russell comes up Restel or Rousseau and so on.
I will just keep praying that someday I will find the marriage record of John Russell and Marie Josephte Bergeron.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 November 17 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, I have now seen the marriage record for Pierre and Genevieve. Looks like 1871?

Quite a variation in the name Russell, for sure.

PB

Added: so it looks like little Marie Rosalie who was buried in 1898 was the sister of your Marie since her parents were Pierre Bergeron and Marie Genevieve Potdevin. She was 8 1/2. Marie Rosalie was baptized in St Joseph Parish, Carleton, Bonaventure County in 1890. Might be worth your while to troll through the Carleton records b/c if the family was there at some point they may have still been there when John and Marie were married, possibly there?