Author Topic: Stoneavaich - Glenconlas as it was known  (Read 7163 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stoneavaich - Glenconlas as it was known
« on: Thursday 23 November 17 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have any details of the Shaw's living at what was known as Stoneavaich - Glenconlas
presuming it now Glenconglass . . .

And is Stoneavaich now known as Stronavaich . . . ?

I have a Alexander Shaw who resided in Inchrory - Glenavon and at Stroneavaich (Stronavaich) no idea on date given . . .

Alexander Shaw's sons . . .

William Shaw of Minmore - Glenlivet and John Shaw (Priest) at Rutherglen - Glasgow . . .

Alexander's father is supposed to be a Duncan Shaw . . .

And Duncan's father is supposed to be a Farqur Shaw who married a Shaw whose father was John Shaw of Inchrory

Duncan Shaw is supposed to have married a Shaw whose father was called Alexander Shaw of Inchrory

I looking for information on all of the Shaw's mention here and of Duncan child James Shaw who died without issue

Who is William Shaw of Minmore - Glenlivet . . . ?

Confused - not as confused as I am with all those Shaw's marrying Shaw's . . . *o*

Any help would be gratefully received . . . : )

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Stoneavaich - Glenconlas as it was known
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 November 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

26 Jun 1853 Patrick McGlade & Elizabeth McQuade both of this Par. were P in
the Par. Ch. of Ruth. three sev. Sabbaths in O to Mar. & no object. made &
Mar. at Ruth. 17 Jul 1853 by John Shaw Priest of Catholic Church of
Rutherglen.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/LANARK/2003-04/1049375908

1851 Census(FreeCEN)
68 Abercromby Street , Glasgow , Lanarkshire.
John Shaw(Rev) 29 Missionary Apostolic born Kirkmichael Banffshire

Could that be John ?

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 November 17 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Libindx has -
John Shaw baptism 10th April 1820 Kirkmichael
parents Alexander Shaw ,  Stronevach , and Elspet Gordon.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 November 17 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ev

I have taken all of this out of a book - names were given but no dates - thanks to you I now have a time frame on which to work back from

We are supposed to be from the Alister Shaw line as follows

Alister 1st married a Murry of Finzean - 2nd marriage to a Shaw of Dalnavert and had 3 son's Duncan, William and Donald - not dates given

Then just for the fun of it there is just a commor, then it goes straight into Farqua Shaw married a Shaw daughter of John Shaw - they had a son Duncan who went on to have the James who died without issue and the Alexander who went on to have William of Minmore and John the priest of Rathanglen

We now know thanks to you that John was born in 1820 and his parents are Alexander Shaw and Elspet Gordon

This is far to head for the time I am looking at . . .

My actually problem is a William Shaw who married in 1795, to a Ephy(Euphemia)Grant in Tomintoul - their 1st son Donald - I cannot find Williams Shaw's parents

So we are now back to the bit where the Farqur Shaw jumped in and took me down the wrong line with the correspondent giving the information that Alexander Shaw and the now known wife Elspet Gordon had more that just William of Minmore and John the priest born 1820 in Rathenglen as I also found a Duncan born 1824  and a Alexander born 1826 but I hasten to add not the William birth date unknown or john the priest born 1920 by same parents - confused to say the least     

It is Alister Shaw 1st marriage a Murry from Finzean - 2nd wife a Shaw from Dalnavert and their 3 son's Duncan, William and Donald and yet again no time frame given that I am looking for - who the correspondent in the book say's that William of Milltown of Inveruorie as spelt in the book and Alexander Shaw born 1802 of Delachule in Tomintoul who is the of son of William and Ephy Grant of Delachule who married in 1795 are of the Alister Shaw line

So just who is William of Milltown - Inverourie - is it Alexander's son William born 1839 or Alexander's father born ???? as people are mentioned as to the tack they hold at that time and not always their place of their birth or is William Shaw someone else completely different - other than to say the correspondent in the book say's they are both from the same line from this Alister

There is no point in looking at one home base with this lot as there is a lot of movement with this family of Shaw's and all of it is not helped by inter liked marriages and such forth

We have Rothiemuscas then Tardorroch - Dalnavert - Tulleghue - Inchrory - Braemar - Crathie - Cathinard - you name it they been there - it is enough to drive you up the wall . . .

I am just so close to sorting it all out but only if the correspondent has got it right in the first place

Reading the history of the Shaw's is like reading the Gospels out of the bible - with everyone and every Clan giving a different account of the same story - like just how many virgin Mary's are there - yet it appears every religion has got one . . .

Kind regards - Indiana x x x

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 November 17 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes Forfarian thanks for reminding me - I have come a long way since making those inquiries and have learnt a great deal of just about every Shaw going that was Scottish in and out of Scotland

Except William Shaw born around 1750's to which there are a few Shaw's and unlike others I am not prepared to just pick be any old William Shaw that fits the bill or otherwise I would have a rich tale to tell would I not

I have found the reading of the accounts of the Shaws/MacIntoshes of Doune house the most misleading

1) Was the "Dallas" who was murdered by his step son Allan Shaw/MacIntosh a one James or John? 

2) And that the said wife of the James Shaw who then was killed in the battle of Harlow 1411, and remarried is up as Grant, a Campbell, or a McGregor depending whose history you are reading

3) The "Memoirs of a Highland Lady" by Elizabeth Grant do not help either

4) We as the mere commoners in this story of the Shaw's can take a running jump as to be so concerned as to the records kept

5) And the sheer movements of the Shaw's in general

6) As stated in my previous message on this particular inquiry it is just about William Shaw who married the Ephy Grant in 1795 that I am concerned about, taking in to account that this William Shaw could have been married before

I was totally aware of the Shaw's of Stronavaich but never saw them as any form of direct line to the our family - but every avenue has to be checked even if just to eliminate it

I have also read the accounts of all the surnames that relate to the Shaw's either through marriage or witnesses to any marriage or to children Baptism's and the fact all those people who are up as placed else where are all in fact within the Kirkmichael/Tomintoul at all the said times, it is called parallel lines

The part that I am dealing with at this very moment in time is the Rev. Lachlan Shaw and the Rev. W. G Shaw and trying to unravel the part where it states William Shaw of Milltown of Inverourie as it is written and the Alexander Shaw of Delachule and the correspondent a said William Shaw of Castletown, Corgarff claims that we are of the Alister Cair Ruiad Shaw/Macintosh line, the said brother to Allan Shaw the beheader of Doune House

As you are fully aware I myself did not personally invent that story line and I am just doing my best to unravel the generations of Shaw's as written from any such books from each other to find our place in that line if any

My quest continues or maybe with your kindly reminder "Thought this sounded familiar" to just give up on my quest in regard my family line   

Kind regards Forfarian - Indiana x x x

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
There is Stroneavich - Glenconlas and there is Stronavaich - Conglass just off the Lecth road on the same side as Glenmullie but further down heading out of Tomintoul - does anyone know the difference or are they the same as I always thought Glenconlas was further up past Tomintoul - please correct me if I am wrong . . .

Indiana . . .

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Indiana,
The River is the Conglass, so the valley that Stoneavaich, Delachule, Delnalyne, Lagganvoulin etc are in is all kind of 'Glen Conglass'.  There is a farm though, further north along the river that is/was called Glenconlas/glenconglass/various other corruptions like all the others have.
Rowanali

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Indiana,
The River is the Conglass, so the valley that Stoneavaich, Delachule, Delnalyne, Lagganvoulin etc are in is all kind of 'Glen Conglass'.  There is a farm though, further north along the river that is/was called Glenconlas/glenconglass/various other corruptions like all the others have.
Rowanali

Thank you Rowanali - I sometimes wonder if you ever found your Betsy McGregor in the storyline between Delachule and Lagganvoulin you were looking for, and wonder if it was - Betty (Betsy) Elizabeth McGregor B: 9/10-1822. She was the child to Alexander McGregor B: 1791 cira and Christian McPherson B: 1797 - Laggan who wed in 1819, Betty was the grandchild to Gregor McGregor and Mary Rose Ross of Gualrig - son of Robert "Willox" McGregor of Gualrig (Warlock) and could have resided in one of the brothy's nearer to the river on Delachule's land or as a farm servant to Alexander and Isabella Shaw.

The other Betsy that was found: Betsy McGregor B: 1791 cira and her party James Cameron - sister to Alexander McGregor before mentioned and again of Gualrig . . .

Excuse me if wrong as I remember the Betsy in the storyline but not the dates in question - also this line of McGregors seem to inter-relate into the Camerons back as far as the 1600's where I lose the trail - alas no Lillis Cameron found as yet . . .

Cheers Indiana