Author Topic: Stoneavaich - Glenconlas as it was known  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stoneavaich - Glenconlas as it was known
« Reply #36 on: Monday 28 December 20 00:15 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Inchrory, and welcome to Rootschat

I have a William Shaw born 1754, at the time of his marriage in 1795 he is living at Delnalyon, Tomintoul, he gets married to Ephy Grant of Findron, and had 4 children in order, 1) Donald, 2) William, 3) Jane and 4) Alexander, going off William Shaw 1st child his father would have been called Donald, but; I can find no birth for a William Shaw born 1754, with a father called Donald, all I could find was a Duncan Shaw, Gleneye, Braemer, William also had other brothers called Donald and James, but; I can find no birth for an Alexander Shaw to this Duncan, from Braemar, not by this wife anyhow, also there is a track road leading from Braemer up into Inchrory to where Alistar/Alexander Shaw lived, Duncan Shaw was born in 1722, Glenluy, Braemer, his father was called Donald,

Also in 1801 the sponsors to my great Grandfather x 3 Alexander Shaw baptism were Alexander Farquharson and Elspet Gordon, is there any cross links there in your records I wonder, and to this missing link in the photo, a James Shaw born to a Donald Shaw of Inchrory in 1795, this James is the father to Donald *Glenmore* Shaw of Inchrory, B: 1825 and also to Alexander Shaw born 1827 of inchrory, any light you can throw on this would gratefully received . . .   

Indiana Shaw (Perplexed) . . .  :-\

Offline Inchrory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 28 December 20 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Indiana
I have a few bits of info re Shaws of Delnalyn which you may or may not know about - much of it comes from Victor Gaffney's book, "The Lordship of Strathavon" and/or Bruce Bishop's booklet (ANESFHS) about Parish of Kirkmichael.
Like you I have estimated that William's birth is circa 1754.  The first mention of Shaws in Delnalyn (spelling varies considerably) is in 1763 when Donald Shaw married Janet Cameron (a second marriage?).  The 1773 rental crop also records Donald Shaw as being [in] Delnalyn.  There is a reference made of Donald's son being recruited into the militia which extended the period of his tenancy.  1778 - William Shaw, Findron was recruited into Farquharson's militia.  I suspect this is 'your' William and Donald's son.  In 1784 William and Donald Shaw were given a 19 year lease of Delnalyn and in March 1785 Donald died.  1790, Willian Shaw rental crop and 1797, William Shaw paid horse tax.  If his birth was 1754, he would have been 41 when he married Ephy so maybe he was married previously?
Going backwards in time there is a Donald Shaw, subtenant in Tommachlaggan (1752-54) - could this be William's father?  Even further back (1729) is the birth of Donald Shaw to William Shaw Fodderletter and Isobel Robertson - could this be the right Donald?  The ages would work as would the tradition of eldest son named after his paternal grandfather.
What I haven't found, however, is how these Shaws are related to my Inchrory Shaws.
James Shaw, son of Donald Shaw, is my 3xgreat grandfather by way of his son Alexander.  'My' Donald Shaw is the youngest son of Alexander Shaw and Elspet Farquharson (Inchrory).
Let me know if this makes any kind of sense to you?!

Offline Inchrory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 28 December 20 16:14 GMT (UK) »
As I'm very new to this site, I'm struggling to work out how I reply to different people on the thread!
Hopefully xscott1312 will see this reply?
I'm a bit confused by something you said in your earlier reply to me.  I thought, from what I read in one of your posts, that you were descended from Alexander Shaw (1786-1865) and Elspet Gordon?  I can't see, therefore, how you can be descended from Donald Shaw (1762-1836) who was the youngest son of Alexander Shaw (Inchrory) and Elspet Farquharson?  Mind you, it doesn't help when there are so many different Shaws all with the same first name!
Passed down the generations, I have a powder horn inscribed 'Alexander Shaw 1734'.  I also have a copy (a bit worse the wear) of Legends of Glenmore which has also come down through the family.
You mentioned a marriage in 1791 but not sure who you were referring to?
I think I was told that Duncan (son of Farquhar) died quite young (he was baptised in 1738 see RC records) - it might explain why Alexander was brought up in his mother's home of Inchrory?  Also when Alexander gave his birthplace as Crathie, he would have been referring to the joint Parish of Crathie and Braemar. Farquhar was 'of Glencluny' which is at the far end of the parish, beyond Braemar.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 28 December 20 16:56 GMT (UK) »
As I'm very new to this site, I'm struggling to work out how I reply to different people on the thread!
Hopefully xscott1312 will see this reply?
When you post on this thread, anyone who has previously contributed to it will be notified unless they have turned off notifications. So xscott1312 will be notified and can click on the link to view your reply.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 28 December 20 18:16 GMT (UK) »

No, I was saying we are of the Alistar *Cair Shaw line of Inchrory, how we connect I have no idea, not yet anyways, the James Shaw's headstone is a mistake, it was a John Grant's headstone where William Shaw was mentioned as a son-in-law, my files are away at the moment all packed up, and I am just coping on memory here, when xscot1312 popped up, this after all is a old thread, sorry, but; I did route about for old things still left on my computer, and found James Shaw's headstone, so I thought I would still put it up for reference, headstone Ref: T(O)24 after all this James Shaw's father is Donald Shaw, and Donald Shaw was from Inchrory, and James Shaw's son Donald Shaw was Donald *Glenmore Shaw, the headstone Ref: T(O)24 is for James Shaw and his wife Barbara Stuart, and their son Donald *Glenmore Shaw is buried alongside them, headstone Ref: T(O)25, Tomintoul, Libindx

Reference No:      NM169705
Surname:              SHAW
Forename(s):       DONALD "GLENMORE"
Date of Birth:      c. 1825
Date of Death:      01 JUN 1862
Headstone Ref:      T(O)25
Place of Death:      AUCHGOURISH KINCARDINE STRATHSPEY

The other reference was to an Alexander Farquharson and a Elspet Gordon, is that they were both sponsors to my great Grandfather Alexander Shaw's x 3 baptism in1801, Tomintoul, somewhere through these last threads talking to xscot1312 I have put a clip up of it, but; just as to who they were in relation to my family of Shaw's I have no idea, but; as they were mentioned . . .  :-\

Also I have put up a clip of a marriage of a James Shaw to a Jean Gordon in 1746, just in case it helps anyone in their family research . . . ;)

Leave you and xscot1312 to get on with it, shall I, and a happy Hogmanay . . .  :)

Though you could try and just message him to get a direct message through . . .

Indiana Shaw . . .  :-X

Offline xscot1312

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 28 December 20 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Inchrory - apologies I missed the date you had written by your Donald, we have many generations of Donalds in my family tree. Alexander and Elspet Gordon had a son Donald. I do not have the names of all the children between Alexander and Elspet Farquharson as still looking into that, only the immediate family that links my lines. So that was my error apologies, also forgot Gordon and Farquharson, I was tired. I have yet to confirm Duncans death details (Alexanders father) and I have the marriage between Duncan and Janet as 9 March 1791 but who knows were this information came from as I cannot find any records of it. The family history I have prior to Alexander and Elspet Gordon is limited with only a few dates and names but nothing else. Hope this explains better and apologies again for the error. Indiana apologies if I have opened a can of worms on a 'closed thread' :-(

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 28 December 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »

Indiana apologies if I have opened a can of worms on a 'closed thread' :-(

No, everything is sound xscot1312, I have enjoyed it, it is only with these conversation we get the info, because like you say it is limited the further back we go, we are all giving each other something or another, the last message was for inchrory, I am just grabbing for anything I've got because in the end it makes for the bigger picture, the old thread was just me doing my job by checking on every Shaw just about going to see if there was connection, but; I feel that Inchrory has the real information you need as you are both of the same line, later on I will follow both of your threads, and see what I can find that I may not know from the both of you, I just throwing in my two penneth worth, because somewhere all the families have to connect up further down the line, and that is how we get the missing information, from each other, so I look forward to your other threads that you put up, as in regard of the Rev, John Shaw, the reason I said he was not one of ours, is because it seems to me he has the McDonald look about him, but; he deffo has the eyebrows . . .  ;D

All the best for hogmanay, and happy hunting . . .

Indiana . . .  :)