Author Topic: Stoneavaich - Glenconlas as it was known  (Read 7160 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stoneavaich - Glenconlas as it was known
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Stuff about the Rothiemurchus Shaws in Elizabeth Grant's "Memoirs of a Highland Lady!" the Grant's displaced the Shaws in Rothiemurchus, a younger son of the Laird of Grant asked if he could have it & the answer was that he could if he could hold it, which he did, assisted by the MacGregor's who arrived from Perthshire in force. Some MacGregors remained in Strathspey thereafter. 

"Gregor Willox the Warlock!" is obtainable from the publisher's the Aberdeen & NE Family History Society. Amazon want funny money for this booklet!

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Stuff about the Rothiemurchus Shaws in Elizabeth Grant's "Memoirs of a Highland Lady!" the Grant's displaced the Shaws in Rothiemurchus, a younger son of the Laird of Grant asked if he could have it & the answer was that he could if he could hold it, which he did, assisted by the MacGregor's who arrived from Perthshire in force. Some MacGregors remained in Strathspey thereafter. 

"Gregor Willox the Warlock!" is obtainable from the publisher's the Aberdeen & NE Family History Society. Amazon want funny money for this booklet!

Bests,
Skoosh.

Yus Skoosh - the Shaw's dispersed - leaving only Alistar Shaw who stayed and basically gave the Grants hell - until threatened by the McGregors at the request of the Grant's - to which the Shaw's scarpered and it is Alistar Shaw's journey thereon I am trying to establish - and yus some McGregors were left behind to keep a watchful eye - Alistar Shaw's line ended up in Inchory but that was much later in the day from the likes of the 1500's and 1600's - but I am finding that journey stemmed down from Inverness into the likes of Breamar - Deeside were Farqu Shaw's clan became known as the Farquharson's with Blair Gowie thrown in the mix . . .

The book - I just bought it  :-\ - last copy on Amazon at a grand total of £22 for 65-page pamphlet book in A4 size - plus £2.40 post - it gave very little on the family line and was more of a repeat of the story of the "Kelpie bridle - Stone and Mermaid" given by different narratives - and the antics of Gregor Willox" McGregor himself - who just seemed worldly wise when it came to the cures he admitted in sorting life's problems - some I say without success - but he was a character so I did enjoy the read - on arriving the book had a sticker on the back for £5.00 and the post according to the postage was a grand total of £1.87 - have I been had - darn right I have - he he he . . .

But we did marry into them on more than one occasion and the McGregors quite clearly had their boots firmly under our line of the Shaw's kitchen table - it merited a read . . .  ;D

I now have the task of finding copies of Thomas Dick Launders - Legendary Tales of the Highlands and Highland Rambles to which there are more than one volume to catch up with his tales of the Shaw's on his travels - good old Thomas - eh . . . ?

One interesting find was just who resides as a whole in the Kirkmichael Kirkyard just outside of Tomintoul and though it is only a small kirkyard it is steeped in history which I am hoping will open the door to just who is my William Shaw's B: 1753 father was - as my William is buried there before the kirkyard closed around 1838 and with the rest of the family getting buried in Tomintoul itself thereafter - it was total shocker to me as to just who is residing in fact in both kirkyards . . .

It seems we used the Kirkmichael kirkyard and Tomintoul itself to return to be buried - no matter where in Scotland they may have resided beforehand . . .

I am not sure I have a pair of walking boots strong enough to walk all of this trail of time and history - but no harm in dying whilst trying - he he he . . .  :-\

Cheers Indiana . . .

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Indiana, have you tried Seton Gordon's books for this?

Skoosh.

Offline xscot1312

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 December 20 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear Indiana

Have you managed to find out any more information since your original post. I have a family tree from the Farquhar Shaw line through to the present day, however, I have gaps with information on Duncan Shaw, I only know his dob, and the immediate generation following Duncan's family line. Would like to find out information on Duncan Shaw born 1826 and his sister Elspet born 1834.  I can confirm that  the John Shaw information posted by Ev is correct for Rev Canon John Shaw (who was an older brother of Duncan and Elspet). Alexander Shaw also remarried so William Shaw may be from that marriage as I do not have any record of a son called William Shaw to Alexander and Elspet Gordon. Apologies for the revamp but for me this is a very interesting find. Best regards.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 December 20 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello xscot1312,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

Indiana.59 has been notified of your reply, she was online last week so hopefully she will reply soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 December 20 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Dear Indiana

Have you managed to find out any more information since your original post. I have a family tree from the Farquhar Shaw line through to the present day, however, I have gaps with information on Duncan Shaw, I only know his dob, and the immediate generation following Duncan's family line. Would like to find out information on Duncan Shaw born 1826 and his sister Elspet born 1834.  I can confirm that  the John Shaw information posted by Ev is correct for Rev Canon John Shaw (who was an older brother of Duncan and Elspet). Alexander Shaw also remarried so William Shaw may be from that marriage as I do not have any record of a son called William Shaw to Alexander and Elspet Gordon. Apologies for the revamp but for me this is a very interesting find. Best regards.

Hi Scot and a Merry Christmas pending to you and all for this years Christmas . . .

You have hit me at a rather bad time as I am packed up with a view of moving after the New Year, and I laid researching to rest until then, I do not know if you have ever read my other posts where the Faquhar Shaw ended up in Deeside after splitting up from the main body of Shaws, and his family re-entered as the Faquharsons, also in Deeside there was a man called Ducan Shaw who was referred to as the "Man of power" alongside his brother John, Duncan, a man of integrity, not to go into that to much, but; the kirkyard at Kirkmichael just outside of Tomintoul interested me as the Farquharson's have had their graves there since the 1500's was my biggest surpise, and that no matter where they were living or born they all took to getting buried here, as my great Grandfather William Shaw x 4 born appox 1753/1754 is buried there also, no idea where born, possible Breamar, he had a brother called Donald, and possibly a father also called Donald, all residing at Delalyon, in Tomintoul, now the name Donald bugs me, as could it be Duncan, the same way James and John get mixed up, so always look both ways on the name Duncan, you are far to way a head of me in regard of the your Duncan Shaw and Espet Shaw as I spend most of time going backwards not forwards, but; to disappearing Shaws have you checked the Canadian line of Shaws, and any military records, I am at loss to your Duncan and Elspet Shaw as much as you are, as I am away from any files I have at the moment, was there not a question that some, maybe even 3 of the sons died and out them 1 or 2 went without issue, William was one I am sure, because I remember stopping the research there, on file just at this moment and it is very limited, I do have this, the baptizm of Alexander Shaw to William Shaw and Ephy Grant at Delalyon in 1802, it was witnessed by an Alexander Farquharson and Elspet Gordon *sponsers, but remembering this was 1802 and they would have both have had been at least 17 to witness the wedding and be sponsers . . .

Also in 1832 my great Grandfather Alexander Shaw x 3 wedded Isobel McIntosh in the presence of "Duke of Gordon" with no explantion as to why he was there, Alexander Shaw was Catholic where as the Duke was not, so was the Dukes connection to Isobel's McIntosh family her father being Donald McIntosh, and non Catholic, no idea there, just that there is a full 2 page entry of weddings at that time and the Duke was not mentioned in any of the other weddings, so just who were the Shaws of Tomintoul . . .

Given where we both stand now, your line of Farquharson interest me just to see if we are lining up somewhere there, it is quite clear we all knew each other in someway . . .

Indiana

Offline xscot1312

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 December 20 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information and apologies for the disruption. I know that Duncan Shaw was a Gunner in the Royal Horse Artillery and discharged after amputation of his right forearm but no year given with this information (I have someone looking into this for me for a date). And that Alexander Shaw converted to Catholicism to marry Elspet. Alexander was press-ganged into the navy twice.  My father has his release papers still. Alexander remarried after Elspeth’s death - Isbella Munro, After the Navy he became a farmer in Stronavaich.  I have Alexanders father as Duncan Shaw (snr) son of Farquhar Shaw who married Janet Shaw from Kirkmichael Baniff ( diff Shaw line), Janet was born 26 Dec 1765 so maybe married about 1784 (my father thought), although I think I have found parish records to say marriage was 9 March 1791.
Janet Shaw's father was Alexander ‘Alistair’ Shaw of ‘Inchrory’ possibly in Glen Avon, near Tomintoul, married  Elspet Farquharson. I will leave you with this until you are settled again. No rush for me as I no longer live in the Uk and have limited internet access. Thank you for the information provided so far. Looking forward to finding out more. XScot

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 December 20 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information and apologies for the disruption. I know that Duncan Shaw was a Gunner in the Royal Horse Artillery and discharged after amputation of his right forearm but no year given with this information (I have someone looking into this for me for a date). And that Alexander Shaw converted to Catholicism to marry Elspet. Alexander was press-ganged into the navy twice.  My father has his release papers still. Alexander remarried after Elspeth’s death - Isbella Munro, After the Navy he became a farmer in Stronavaich.  I have Alexanders father as Duncan Shaw (snr) son of Farquhar Shaw who married Janet Shaw from Kirkmichael Baniff ( diff Shaw line), Janet was born 26 Dec 1765 so maybe married about 1784 (my father thought), although I think I have found parish records to say marriage was 9 March 1791.
Janet Shaw's father was Alexander ‘Alistair’ Shaw of ‘Inchrory’ possibly in Glen Avon, near Tomintoul, married  Elspet Farquharson. I will leave you with this until you are settled again. No rush for me as I no longer live in the Uk and have limited internet access. Thank you for the information provided so far. Looking forward to finding out more. XScot

So, Scot we are related then, he he he, and another example of how names get mixed up, James with John, Donald with Duncan, and the old Alistair and Alexander . . .

Somewhere I have the will to Alexander Shaw in the 1600's, as the Shaws carried the Mcintoshes name back in the day as they joined clans, Alexander Shaw was the first I think to return to his own surname of Shaw as seen in his will, give me time and I will fish it out for you, all this now relates to Doune house, and how the Shaws fell out of favour with the Grants after Allan Shaw/McIntosh is supposed to have beheaded his step-father, Dallas, then the Shaws spilt up with Alistair Shaw being the only one to carry on his fight with the Grants, and he is Alistair/Alexander Shaw of Inchory . . . 

And, in your own time too Scot, there are others on here who can help you too as they go to the record offices at Edinburgh were all the recors are kept, as Duncan and Elspet Shaw are your quest here, and many might miss this information you have given I would open a new quest on the forum, given the information you have giving me in regards to Duncan's and Elspet Shaws parenthood too, but; given what you have said up to now, we do if only in names have a link between us, good luck, and see you the next time around . . .

Indiana . . .  : )

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 December 20 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Indiana, have you tried Seton Gordon's books for this?

Skoosh.

No, Skoosh, but; I will give it go finding them, many thanks Indiana . . .  :)