Author Topic: David John Bowen born about 1801  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David John Bowen born about 1801
« on: Thursday 23 November 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
I am searching for information and confirmation that I am on the right track with research on the family of David John Bowen.  I am a bit lost with where and how to search and seem to be floundering around a bit at the moment.  If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.
What I know, or think I know;
David John Bowen was born about 1801 in Bedminster.  In Nov 1831 he married Winifred Price, who at the time I believe was a widow.  They had two children, David John in 1831 and william in 1835.  The 1841 census has the four living in Back Street, St Nicholas, Bristol. David John snr is listed as a seaman.
I am confident that I can to a small degree track the two children from this point, but unsure of the parents.  There are a number of deaths that I have found for David Bowen 1842, 1845 and 1850, but the ages dont seem to match.
In the 1851 census I find a David Bowen - retired mariner living in Chelsea, but would appear with a new wife (Mary) and an addition child (Albert).  I can't seem to find a death for Winifred between the 1841 and 1851 census, but there may be a few marriages in that time.
Importantly I cant seem to find anything to confirm the 1851 census is the same David Bowen as the 1841, nor any death for him after 1851 if it is. 
Any suggestions on how I might find this out would be greatly appreciated.
Sean
Bowen - England, Hammond - England, Kiernan - Ireland, Hampson - Ireland, McCall - Scotland.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: David John Bowen born about 1801
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 17 02:27 GMT (UK) »
I could be wrong, and I think you would need to get some certificates to be sure, but there is the possibility that David died in 1845 - death registered Jun qtr Clifton (11/232) - aged 40. Then there is a marriage for Winifred BOWEN in 1846 to either William TROTT or David WILLIAMS - Jun qtr 1846 Bristol (11/196). Interestingly there is also a death for Winifred WILLIAMS Mar qtr 1848 at Bristol (11/146) aged 47.

Just speculation I'm afraid, but possibly worth pursuing?

Where are the children in the 1851? I couldn't see them very easily  ???

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 November 17 03:03 GMT (UK) »
1861 the David living in Middlesex is still alivel

1861 Census
Chelsea, Middlesex
Daniel Bowen, 62, Widr, formerly a Seaman, born Bristol, Somerset
Albert Bowen, 20, Son, Unm, Clerk and Wine Merchant, born London, Middlesex

Image looks like DAVID to me
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 November 17 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Marriage ?????;
24 Apr 1843, Bedminster, Somerset
David BOWEN, Father GEORGE Bowen
Mary OWEN, Father WILLIAM Owen

May be more of a hindrance than help as Albert is born c 1841 before Marriage.

Albert marries 1873 St Mary, Battersea, Wandsworth and names his Father as Daniel a Gentleman.

I think maddys52 may be on the right track with 1845 death and remarriage/death for Winifred.

Also 1841 Census just has that David is NOT born in Glous so if he died before 1851 Census he may have been born anywhere in England.

Cant find the children in 1851 either.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:15 GMT (UK) »
? Not sure if this is the Forum Members Tree

Public Member tree on Ancestry

David John BOWEN 1801-1842 - died 17 September 1842, Bedminster, Somerset
Winifred PRICE 1801 -

The two boys

David John BOWEN 11 - marriage in 1855, Sydney, New South Wales, Austrlia to Catherine Amelia ASHER - (1840-1884) and then married again in 1885 to Bridge Maria SHANAHAN.

David John BOWEN 11 - died in Sydney, Australia - 12 May 1898

William BOWEN - came by assisted passage to Australia - arrival : 23 August 1854 and married 8 February 1855 St Kilda Melbourne, to Marian GRAY

etc

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
1842 David was older;

GRO Death Reg Index;
BOWEN, DAVID, age 56
GRO Reference: 1842  S Quarter in BEDMINSTER  Volume 11  Page 48

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 November 17 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Maddy,
William Bowen appears on the 1851 census in Gloucestershire.  Occupation is Hairdressers apprentice, which is Williams occupation on his Australian Marriage records once he gets here. Age and place of birth on 1851 census match my william Bowen born 1835.  I can find no record of David John Jnr, however he may be at sea at the time.
Capetown, that is similar information that I originally had before stumbling across the 1851 Census which all digitised records record as Daniel Bowen, however looking at the images could easily be David also, occupation, age and location seem to match.  I thought the 1842 death made sense and perhaps coincided with David Jnr going to sea.
Trish,  Perhaps the 1845 death makes sense considering I had looked at the 1846 marriage to william Trott for Winifred. 
Where would I obtain the actual birth, death or marriage records to try and get some clarity?
Bowen - England, Hammond - England, Kiernan - Ireland, Hampson - Ireland, McCall - Scotland.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 November 17 10:38 GMT (UK) »
I think if you purchased the marriage certificate from the GRO for Winifred BOWEN Jun qtr 1846 Bristol (11/196), it should say whether she is a widow or not, and her father's name. You said in your original post that Winifred may have been a widow when she married David BOWEN - do you have any more details, what her maiden name or father's name was ?

Purchasing the death certificate might not reveal as much information, UK death certs not providing as much info as Australian ones.  ;)

Offline Sbowie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 November 17 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddy,
I think I am going to have to purchase a few certificates, but its handy to know the death certs wont be of great assistance.  The marriage record I found for David John BOWEN and Winifred Price, lists Winifred as a widow.  I am only assuming then that Price is her first married name. The only info I can find that might link to this is a prior marriage between Winifred Darral and Richard Price, and then a death of Richard Price prior to the 1831 mariage of David and Winifred.
Where do I purchase the certificates?