Author Topic: On the trail of Lizzie CODLING, probably from Wangford District  (Read 5166 times)

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
On the trail of Lizzie CODLING, probably from Wangford District
« on: Thursday 23 November 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for information about Lizzie CODLING, who in 1881 was a servant in a London house, was born around 1862, and whose place of birth was given as Suffolk.

Her story, or the part that I am aware of, is a little complicated. On the 1881 Census, she was a servant in the household of a Louis BENOIT. He was described as a Lodging House Keeper. Louis at the time of the 1881 Census was 59 and married to wife Isabella. Lizzie, in 1881, was 19.

It's impossible at this distance from the events to know all the facts surrounding the story, but I am convinced that 59-year-old Louis fathered a child by 19-year-old Lizzie, a son, whose birth was registered by Lizzie, as Louis CODLING. This registration was in the 4th Qtr of 1881 and took place in the Marylebone District of London.

There is quite a bit more about Louis CODLING that I know, for instance, he didn't retain the CODLING name, and he didn't stay with Lizzie. After 1881, the first we hear of him again is in on the 1891 Census, when he is in the household of a widow, one Charlotte NUTKINS. There, he is 9-years-old and goes by the name of Louis BENOIT, being described as a Lodger. On the 1901 Census, he is still with Charlotte and is listed as 'Harry' NUTKINS, Grandson. He gets married in December 1901 and is married as Louis BENOIT. However, in 1909 he changes his name to Harry NUTKINS, and that is how he remains. He died comparatively young, in 1915.

Back to Lizzie! Looking on FreeBMD, Ancestry and Findmypast, I cannot find an 1862 birth for a 'Lizzie' CODLING, in Suffolk. I have however been able to discover a Caroline Elizabeth CODLING, born 1862, in the District of Wangford, Suffolk. Is this likely to be the 'Lizzie' who was in London in 1881?

Lizzie is not on a London Census after 1881, at least I cannot find her on one. Due to the circumstances, I am of the opinion that she likely went back to Suffolk, without son Louis! So what happened to her?

I have come across a marriage of a Lizzie CODLING, to a Frederick DENNY in the District of Wangford during the 2nd Qtr of 1885.

There is also a marriage of Caroline Elizabeth CODLING to a Robert Owen B Davis, in the District of Maldon, Essex, during the 4th Qtr of 1895.

I am in Derbyshire and am unfamiliar with families in Suffolk, but I wondered whether anyone might like to cast their eyes over the above information and let me know if they have any knowledge which might clarify if either of the above two marriages, or maybe even both, might be the Lizzie CODLING who was in London.

Any other knowledge or insights would also be useful. I am trying to construct a family tree for a friend, but this one is proving a little difficult.

I do hope someone might be able to help.

Your hopefully,

Alan
FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: On the trail of Lizzie CODLING, probably from Wangford District
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 November 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

When Louis married in 1901 - is a father's name shown on his marriage cert?

Have you identified Lizzie on the 1871 census - hopefully with her parents?

Have you tracked Charlotte Nutkins backwards to see if she had any connection to either Lizzie or a Codling family?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 November 17 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte was nee Walker and married George Nutkins 1.1.1862 St Marylebone but the 1871 census shows a daughter Charlotte E born 1859 but Marylebone - not Suffolk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 November 17 04:17 GMT (UK) »
There is an Elizabeth Codling b 1860 Lowestoft, Suffolk.  She is married to Samuel Codling.
Wangford comes under Lowestoft district.
Samuel Codling married Elizabeth Aldington, 1881 Wangford, Suffolk.

1881 census.
Elizabeth Aldington.      Beccles Road, Wangford.  age 21, single, Housekeeper.  Daughter of head of household. Born Lowestoft 1860.  Father William B A Aldington. Age 67. Born Great Yarmouth.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 November 17 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Just a note on the 23 Dec 1901 Marylebone marriage of Louis Benoit to Maude Catherine Roy.

Louis' father is said to be Louis Benoit (deceased), butler.  Witnesses were William Arthur Nutkins and Hettie Roy.

The parish register is annotated with a correction to the bridegroom's name made on 3 Feb 1909:

'Col 2 for "Louis Benoit" read "Louis Benoit otherwise Codling or Nutkins".' 

The correction was made 'in the presence of H Nutkins and Maude Catherine Nutkins the parties married'.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 November 17 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Caroline Elizabeth Codling (who married Robert Owen Base Davis in 1881) is not your 'Lizzie', because she appears separately in 1881 in Suffolk with her mother, albeit with her age significantly understated as '14'.  She was a daughter of Henry Godbold Codling and his wife Esther.  She is with them in Kelsale in 1871, aged 9.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 November 17 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Samuel and Elizabeth Codling are living in  Broad Street, Bungay in 1891 with 4 children.

in 1901 living in Boyscott Lane, Bungay.
in 1911 still in Bungay.

All  Parish of St Mary Bungay. Registration District, Wangford

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 November 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Trying to follow up the 1885 marriage of Frederick Denny and Lizzie Codling.

Birth registrations:

Dec qtr 1885 Clara Emily Denny mmn Codling, Wangford (died same quarter)
Dec qtr 1886 Charles Denny mmn Codling, Wangford
Jun qtr 1889 Laura May Denny mmn Codling, Wangford
Jun qtr 1891 Frederick George Denny mmn Codling, Depwade

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 November 17 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Trying to follow up the 1885 marriage of Frederick Denny and Lizzie Codling.

Birth registrations:

Dec qtr 1885 Clara Emily Denny mmn Codling, Wangford (died same quarter)
Dec qtr 1886 Charles Denny mmn Codling, Wangford
Jun qtr 1889 Laura May Denny mmn Codling, Wangford
Jun qtr 1891 Frederick George Denny mmn Codling, Depwade

Censuses for this family after the marriage show that Frederick's wife 'Elizabeth' was enumerated as born in Shorncliffe, Kent abt 1868.  This makes her too young to be your "Lizzie", and indeed Elizabeth Codling can be separately accounted for in 1881, aged 13 with her parents Charles and Rachel in Bungay.

Elizabeth's birthplace of Sandgate, Kent per the 1881 leads to her birth registration as Elizabeth Codling mmn Norman, Dec qtr 1867 Elham.