Author Topic: Towell – Oakham, Uppingham and possibly Wing  (Read 7320 times)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Towell – Oakham, Uppingham and possibly Wing
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 November 17 14:58 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth registered for a William Camp in Basford, Notts, mmn Towle, Q3 1840 just before the death for Ann Camp in Q4.

David

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 November 17 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Right ... this gives me lots to think about.

So, the Towell/Corser marriage looks good for the real Charlotte Towell. It looks as though they went to Australia in the end.

The father of my Charlotte Towell, who may be the illegitimate daughter of Ann Towell and Thomas Henton could be Henry, who was in and out of the asylum, or possibly another Henry entirely who died two years before the patient.  Alternatively, she could have been asked her father's name and simply said 'Henry', omitting to say she was giving the details of her stepfather Henry Camp.

My Charlotte Towell wrote a beautiful copperplate hand.  Where would she have learnt that?
Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 08:41 GMT (UK) »
I think this is the most likely;
Charlotte Towell, the illegitimate daughter of Ann Towell and Thomas Henton;
And she could have been asked her father's name and simply said 'Henry', omitting to say she was giving the details of her stepfather Henry Camp.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 10:46 GMT (UK) »
 I think I have found the answer, as Jomot suggested:-

Charlotte Hinton
Baptism date: 20 Apr 1827
Place: Oakham
Father Thomas Hinton
Mother: Ann Towell

Looking at the possibilities of Mary Ann Towell, who witnessed the marriage of Charlotte, the only person who appears to fit was the wife of William Towell, a Felmonger of Oakham. She only appears as Mary A on the 1871 census, otherwise just Mary.

William would seem to be the son of Thomas and Mary, the same parents as Ann in 1804.

David

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Henton, son of Thomas and Ann was baptised at Melton Mowbray on 6th February 1807.

A Thomas Henton of Melton Mowbray married Ann Tyler of Pickwell on 21st December, 1826, at Pickwell.

Ann Tyler, daughter of Robert and Ann, was baptised at Pickwell on 4th February 1801.

Ann Henton, born 1801, was buried at Knossington on 22nd September 1831.

David

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Well done David :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 11:30 GMT (UK) »
If the OP wants to obtain the 1827 Bastardy documents from Leicester Archives, the reference is 2694/798.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Good find with the baptism David. 

For reference, it was at Bar Gates Independent Meeting House, Oakham and her date of birth was 27 Feb 1827.  Charlotte is recorded as 'Charlotte Hinton daughter of Thomas Hinton and Ann Towell his wife'.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Credit should really be to you, Jomot. It was your lead that helped me to find it.

There is a reference to the grave of Ann Henton in Knossington, which is four miles from Oakham, although her age is incorrect. It mentions Thomas but it may just mean that he was her husband.

http://www.gravestonephotos.com/search/findfamily.php?name=Henton&scrwidth=2400

Leicester Journal 23 September 1831:
 The same day(Monday the 19th), aged 30, deeply lamented by all who knew her, Ann, the wife of Mr. Thomas Henton, of Knossington, in this county.

Leicester Journal 19 December 1828:
To be disposed of,...
All the stock, Fixtures, and Good-will in the Trade of Mr. Thomas Henton, Linen and Woolen Draper, Hatter, Hosier, &c. Market Place, Melton Mowbray.

I can find no further reference to Thomas.

David