Author Topic: Towell – Oakham, Uppingham and possibly Wing  (Read 7293 times)

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Towell – Oakham, Uppingham and possibly Wing
« on: Friday 24 November 17 14:21 GMT (UK) »
I believe that my great great grandmother was Charlotte Towell, born c 1827 in Oakham, according to the censuses.  She died in Leicester in 1917 at the age of 90.

I think I have now found her in the 1841 Census in High Street, Uppingham with parents George and Margaret and many siblings.  George would appear to have been born in county c 1781.
Margaret and the oldest sibling, Mary were not born in county and indeed Mary was born in Scotland.

I have found a marriage at Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew as follows:

Allegation, with bond, by George Towell, lieutenant-adjutant in the 3rd Dragoon Guard, of Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew, Northumberland, army officer, widower for marriage to Margaret Ann Martin, of Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew, Northumberland, spinster with consent of John Martin, regimental quartermaster in the 3rd Dragoon Guard (father), army officer at Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew, Northumberland sworn before Robert Green (surrogate). Surety in bond: John Martin, regimental quartermaster in the 3rd Dragoon Guard, of Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew, Northumberland, army officer.

The marriage took place on 28 May 1821 at Newcastle St Andrew and I’m wondering if this is the same couple.

The only George Towell baptism I can find at about the right time is in Wing, Rutland on 3 February 1777 with parents Thomas and Ann.

I have no idea if I’m on the right track here, but my Charlotte Towell married Abraham Phillips from Crowland, Lincs at Oakham in 1848 and they settled in Leicester.

Would anybody like to look at this with me?
Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Towell – Oakham, Uppingham and possibly Wing
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 November 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
George Towell who died Sep 1849 Uppingham was 73 which ties in with the age of the baptism you found.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 November 17 14:49 GMT (UK) »
I think that's the right marriage.

1841 has a 1 year old daughter called Mira.

Closest I can see is Sep 1839 Mirce Felicier Towell **
Uppingham mothers name Martin

**maria felicia makes more sense!
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 November 17 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Really sorry about this but there is a brief transcript of her marriage.
Charlotte Towell married Abraham Phillips of Kimbley 27 July 1848 of Oakham.
Both bach and spins and of this parish.
Her father is Henry Towel.
It's from Familysearch and does not give the grooms father's name occupations or witnesses.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 November 17 17:20 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism in Uppingham in 1825 of Albina Towell d/o George & Ann Margaret.  George's occupation was given as Lieutenant in the Army.

Oops, sorry, just noticed ciderdrinker's post gives Charlotte's father as Henry.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 November 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I guess the 1841 could still be the right Charlotte, as no relationships are given George may be some other relation  :-\ 

Clutching at straws but maybe her father Henry had died and she was with relatives. 
There don't seem to be any other likely 1841's for her. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I'd be reluctant to rely only on a partial transcript for her father's details though.  I think the certificate is needed unfortunately.

Having said that, there is a marriage 4 November 1844 in Edgbaston of Charlotte Towell of Uppingham to Edward Corser of Edgbaston.  No parents details given but the Wolverhampton Chronicle reports that the marriage first took place at St  Chad's Cathedral, Birmingham according to the rites of the Catholic Church and then afterwards at the Parish Church, Edgbaston.  The report goes on to say that Charlotte was the second daughter of George Towell of Uppingham, late Lieutenant and Adjutant of the 3d (sic) Regiment of Dragoon Guards. No details for Edward other than 'Edward Corser Esq, of Park Place, Bristol Road'
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Another article, this time from Stamford Mercury, 4 September 1846.

OAKHAM UNION - ONE POUND REWARD.
ABSCONDED, leaving his Wife and Family chargeable to the Parish of Exton, in this Union, HENRY TOWELL, aged about 40, a Labourer, about 5ft 8in high, well proportioned, very plausable tongue, and has been accustomed to stone quarry work.  Whoever will give such information as shall cause the above-named Henry Towell to be apprehended, shall receive One Pound Reward.  By order, H HOUGH, Clerk to the Union, Oakham, August 29 1846.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 November 17 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Just following through on Henry Towell, it seems that by  1871 he is in the Asylum:

Henry Towell, Patient, 66, Married, Excavator born Oakham, Rutland.  Lunatic.

Also possibly worth mentioning, there is a bastardy record in 1827 for Ann Towell of Oakham, & under the same reference a Bastardy Examination for Thomas Henton, Melton Mowbray.  An Ann Towell married Henry Camp at Oakham in 1828, although I haven't traced them after this.