Author Topic: NY Area divorce records 1931-1948.  (Read 1106 times)

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NY Area divorce records 1931-1948.
« on: Saturday 25 November 17 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for a divorce record for John Edwin Bach from his first wife Elizabeth P Thompson.   They were married in Cook County, Ill. 07.08.1931, but he married his second wife in England in June 1948.   So the divorce must have been between those two dates.   I believe they lived in the NY area.  Can anyone help please?  Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Forrest - Ellon Aberdeenshire, Govan Glasgow
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Jerrett - Devon, Lancashire
McMillan - Belfast Ireland, Govan Glasgow
MacMillan - Vancouver Canada
Thornley - Warwickshire
Wernham - Chieveley Berkshire

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NY Area divorce records 1931-1948.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
New York divorce records are sealed for 100 years, so the actual record would not be available to the public if they divorced there.  If you were able to find a more exact location, there may be a mention of the divorce in the newspapers.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Could this passenger list from 1937 be for John & Elizabeth?  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-95FC-9BND?i=285&cc=1923888  If so, they were still married & going to Canada.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 November 17 01:51 GMT (UK) »
I found a newspaper article in the Dobbs Ferry (New York) Register on www.fultonhistory.com that said John & Elizabeth were going to be married.  It says John was the son of Mrs. Joseph S. Bach of Pinehurst, North Broadway.  An article also in the Dobbs Ferry Register from 19 Jul. 1935 says that Mr. & Mrs. John E. Bach have left for Hamilton, Ontario after a visit with Mrs. Joseph S. Bach of Broadway.  This was listed under a heading that says Hastings, which is a town that is close to Dobbs Ferry. 

A 27 Dec. 1935 article from the same paper mentions that Mr. & Mrs. Spencer B. Hopping of Circle Drive hosted Mr. & Mrs. John Bach of Hamilton, Ohio.  (Ohio may have been an error.)

1 Apr. 1938 in the Dobbs Ferry Register said that Mrs. Joseph Bach of North Broadway, who has been spending the winter in New York City, left Monday for Toronto, Canada to visit her son & daughter-in-law Mr. & Mrs. John Bach.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 November 17 02:03 GMT (UK) »
The Hastings News (Hastings-on-Hudson New York) 19 Sep. 1940 - "John S. Bach, formerly of Broadway, has written to friends here that he is now a flying officer in the Royal Canadian Air Force stationed at Trenton, Ontario.  For several years, he has been living in Toronto where he represents an American firm doing business with steel plants in Canada."  I guess that may be the reason that he doesn't seem to be in the 1940 US census.

There is another article from the Hastings News from 1934 or 1935 that said Mr. & Mrs. John Edwin Bach spent the week with his mother.  The couple had been living in Cleveland, Ohio for a year and had left for Hamilton, Ontario, where Mr. Bach will represent the Ferro Enamel Company of Cleveland.

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 November 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi shelleyesq

Thankyou so much for all that.   Yes it is them.   I hadn't realised that they lived in Canada, so maybe that is where I should look for their divorce.

Not sure how to get this transferred to the Canada site ???

Many thanks,

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 November 17 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Since it's still sort of up in the air where the divorce might have happened, you could start a new thread on the Canadian board and give them this link back to here.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783186.0 

I'm not sure about divorces, but unfortunately I think Canada tends to be even more restrictive than New York in making vital records available to the public.

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I have now started a thread on the Canada site - with the reference back to the USA site as you suggested.

Many thanks for all your help.

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 18:05 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada