Author Topic: "Double Cousins" Who Marry Each Other  (Read 2315 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: "Double Cousins" Who Marry Each Other
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 November 17 13:37 GMT (UK) »
This happened with one of my direct ancestors cousins.  They married, had a few babies, large gaps in between and none of them survived past 3 mon :(.  I suspect that the close relationship of the parents had something to do with it.

So sad -  it might have been a factor. However I have families where the parents were almost certainly unrelated who still lost all their babies - a C19th reality.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 November 17 15:46 GMT (UK) »

So these are cousins who have FOUR grandparents in common instead of the usual two as in most cousin marriages? Then they marry? Any child of theirs would have just those four great-grandparents instead of the usual eight?

You don't say if the double-cousins marrying had any children,

Hi Chris

Yes, the two cousins shared the same 4 grandparents, and they had children, making only four great-grandparents instead of the normal eight.

It took me a little while to head my head round it, thought I was going daft at first  :D
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 November 17 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a look at the 1911 census and the double cousins had eight children of which four survived
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 November 17 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Wow. In his autobiography Richard Dawkins tells of a double cousin - and says they have as many genes in common as would half-brothers - and he should know! You wouldn't be allowed to marry your half-sibling!

So you don't know this family - but any record of how the four survivors got on - did they marry, were they on the 1939 doing a job, etc? No disability listed in 1911 I gather?
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 November 17 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Wow. In his autobiography Richard Dawkins tells of a double cousin - and says they have as many genes in common as would half-brothers - and he should know! You wouldn't be allowed to marry your half-sibling!

So you don't know this family - but any record of how the four survivors got on - did they marry, were they on the 1939 doing a job, etc? No disability listed in 1911 I gather?

According to the list of forbidden marriages it is legal to marry your double cousin

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 November 17 16:19 GMT (UK) »

According to the list of forbidden marriages it is legal to marry your double cousin

Yes I know - it would be difficult to enforce if it weren't - but it's slightly scary that you share as many genes as you would with a half-sibling.

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 November 17 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone come across this before? I have a pair of double cousins who marry each other, a brother & sister of one family marry a brother & sister from another, then a child from each pair marry. It did 'arf confuse me at first.  I was just wondering how common it was as it is the first time I've seen this
Cripes - more a genetic puddle than a genetic pool.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 November 17 17:47 GMT (UK) »
I have 3 brothers who married 3 sisters in Suffolk.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 November 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I have 3 brothers who married 3 sisters in Suffolk.

Yes - but did any of their "double cousin" offspring marry each other? That's what this thread is about.