Author Topic: Shrubsoles in Whitstable  (Read 3158 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Shrubsoles in Whitstable
« on: Monday 27 November 17 22:42 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone might be able to help me locate a marriage for my ancestor John Shrubsole who was living in Whitstable in the late 17th and early 18th century. He appears to have been married to a woman named Sibbell (transcribed as Isabel in one case) and had the following children:

Elizabeth Shrubsole - chr 1695 Whitstable
Ann Shrubsole - chr 1697 Whitstable [Sibbell's name is here transcribed as Isabell]
Mary Shrubsole - chr 1701 Whitstable
Nathaniel Shrubsole - chr 1703 Whitstable [my ancestor]

I haven't been able to find any other Shrubsoles in Whitstable, although there seem  to be a lot in Boughton under Blean and I don't know if there might be a connection there.

Nathaniel Shrubsole married Mary Gardner in Canterbury in 1725 and their children were born in Faversham.

John Shrubsole was probably born between the 1660s and 1670s. I have found one John Shrubsole born in Boughton Blean in 1674 and another in Bishopsbourne in 1673 but can't say if either of these is mine yet.

Any ideas/suggestions about John's marriage or possible place of birth would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Matt

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Shrubsoles in Whitstable
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I reckon this is their Marriage. allowing for Dialects Civility could easily become Sibelly thence Sybil or Sibbell.

JohnShrubsole married Civility Kemp ,12 Jan 1699 at Canterbury, St Alphege
        John's Parish  parish   Whitstable            His Occupation Carpenter

Source   
Archive U3/8 Page141 Canterbury Cathedral Archives
Record set   Kent, Canterbury Archdeaconry Marriages
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I reckon this is their Marriage. allowing for Dialects Civility could easily become Sibelly thence Sybil or Sibbell.

JohnShrubsole married Civility Kemp ,12 Jan 1699 at Canterbury, St Alphege
        John's Parish  parish   Whitstable            His Occupation Carpenter

Source   
Archive U3/8 Page141 Canterbury Cathedral Archives
Record set   Kent, Canterbury Archdeaconry Marriages

Hi there

Thanks for that. This could well be my John's marriage.

What's puzzling though is that John's first child was born in 1695. There is a four year gap between the christening of Ann in 1697 and Mary in 1701 where this marriage could have taken place, so maybe John was married before.

I will definitely look into this as it looks highly likely that Civility Kemp is my ancestor.

Thanks again

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I've just found that this marriage took place by Licence. In the index to Canterbury Marriage Licences 1677-1700 both John Shrubsole and Civility Kemp are described as being 'of Whitstable'.

Interestingly although Civility is described as a spinster there is no indication of John's marital status so it's hard to tell if he was a bachelor or widower when he married Civility.

Also on the same page there is a reference to a Samuel Shrubsole of Whitstable who was also married by licence. Samuel is described as a carpenter, just as John was, and I think it might be possible that John and Samuel are related. However more investigation is needed.

Thanks again,

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
I've found what I think must be the christening of Civility/Sibil Kemp

Sibilla Kemp
Christened 21 November 1667
Whitstable, Kent
Father: Gregory/Grigory Kemp
Mother: Elizabeth

I haven't found any clues to John's parents yet so I will need to keep checking that line. There is a John christened in Bishopsbourne in 1673 and also another christened in Bloughton Blean in 1674 which I can investigate. I have a set of Wills for Shrubsoles in Boughton under Blean so hopefully these can help me draw up a possibly tree if John was from there.

Gregory Kemp might have been the son of Gregory Kemp and Anne Holmes who were married in Whitstable in 1640. However so far I haven't found his christening.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 December 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to work out where my ancestor John Shrubsole was born. He married Civility Kemp in Canterbury in 1699, by Licence.

He was born between 1660 and the mid 1670s and the Licence says he was 'of Whitstable' but I haven't found a christening for him in Whitstable.

The only christenings I have found are the following:

John Shrubsole christened in Boughton Blean in 1674

John Shrubsole christened in Bishopsbourne in 1673

Can anyone tell me if either of these parishes is near enough to Whitstable for John to have moved there, or let me know if there other possible christenings in the area?

Thanks

Matt

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 December 17 04:04 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to "Find my Past" there are ten entries in Whitstable for the Nathaniel Shrubsole name.
1703-1837.

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 December 17 14:29 GMT (UK) »
There is also a Baptism for John Shrubsole .12 oct 1662 at Stelling Kent. Son of John and Katherine. Anywhere in Kent would be close enough for folks to move for work .
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 December 17 22:11 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to "Find my Past" there are ten entries in Whitstable for the Nathaniel Shrubsole name.
1703-1837.

Hi

Thanks for that info. I don't have access to FindMyPast at home but can check it next time I'm at the library. I had previously looked for John on there but not found anything in Whitstable in the correct time period. I have found the christenings of his children on there though.

I will check 1660-1679 again next time I'm at a library.

Thanks again

Matt