Author Topic: German War Grave in Bridlington Cemetery  (Read 2476 times)

Offline pete7770_9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
German War Grave in Bridlington Cemetery
« on: Tuesday 28 November 17 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help? do you know if there is an unknown German War grave (EIN DEUTSCHER SOLDAT) in the war grave plot at Bridlington Cemetery. I know 4 German airmen were buried there in three graves on 19 August 1940. The two named airmen were transferred to Cannock Chase in 1964-66, i am lead to believe the two unknown in the one grave are still at Bridlington? I am planning a visit to the area on Sunday for research for my book and don't want to spend hours searching for something that is not there.

I have requested the information from the council but as yet i have had no reply.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pete7770_9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: German War Grave in Bridlington Cemetery
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 November 17 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply,
Yes i have tried the CWGC and i have a full list of all named German servicemen buried in the UK. Unfortunately they do not list any of the unknown graves. I have contacted them again but i am unsure they hold the information. I am waiting for their reply so posted for help on here as well.

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 18 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Pete,

I don't know if you are still interested in this?

According to the exhumation order issued in March 1962, there were 17 German WW2 burials in Bridlington Cemetery. The two unknown German Airmen were jointly buried in W.257. Their date of death was given as 9.12.39. Three others, who are identified are attributed a death date of 15.8.40.

When the burials were relocated to Cannock Chase German Military Cemetery, apart from Schoene (W.186) and Przywarra (W.195), who were reinterred in Plot 3, Row 16, Graves 511 and 512, the remainder were reinterred in Plot 3, Row 12, in consecutive graves.

I can identify all of those in Graves 367 to 381 as from Bridlington. Grave 364 has the sole burial from Skipsea and 382 & 383 are from Selby.

In Grave 365 is Arnulf Neumeyer and in Grave 366 is Rudolph Bihr. Both are attributed a death date of 15.8.40. I believe that these are probably the two previously unidentified men at Bridlington. Part of the VDK remit was to attempt identification, where necessary.

The only reason that the VDK left either WW1 or WW2 burials in place was if they were unable to carry out the exhumation within the restrictions imposed by Section 25 of the Burial Act 1857. In effect this meant that the exhumation would not take place if it was to be from a common grave, where it would entail disturbing other occupants. Rather than request permission from the relatives of the other deceased, as was required by law, the VDK, in collaboration with the CWGC and the Home Office, decided that in these cases, the burial would remain in-situ, unrecorded and unmaintained. For example, Greenwich Cemetery still contains the burials a number of German PoW's from WW1, who died in the local military hospitals. 

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pete7770_9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 January 18 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

Many thanks for the information it is most helpfull. Saves me a trip to the cemetery.