Author Topic: Is the age of the Photograph dead?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Is the age of the Photograph dead?
« on: Wednesday 29 November 17 16:54 GMT (UK) »
With todays modern technology and the advent of social media and sites such as Facebook, twitter, Instagram etc, is the traditional photo and old fashioned photo album a thing of the past?

My happiest memories from childhood are looking at the old family pictures from a bygone age. That is what first interested me in finding out more about my family.

Will today's generation keep up those traditions or will it just all die out to media profiles and memory sticks???

Am I just trying to hold onto the past two much??

Is the Photograph finally dead? https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.com/2017/11/29/is-the-photograph-finally-dead

let me know what you think
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is the age of the Photograph dead?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Funny you should mention that today of all days, early this morning I was searching the internet to see if I could find a picture of my gggreat uncle a cricketer born in 1814. Sure enough I found one and due to search engines all named photographs on the internet will be archived in a similar way in the future.
I would therefore assume that except for a few printed photos of special occasions the majority of future pictures will be digital.
This has advantages and disadvantages.
There will be more chance of finding named photos in the future but rather than turning the pages of a photo album we might be turning the pages of a digital album on a TV linked to the internet.
Any unnamed images such as thoses identified by numbers will be lost "for ever" when split from the original data set.

However all photos will be available practically anywhere in the world.

Therefore changed rather than a thing of the past.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Great topic - I'm 34 and so (I think) I'm young enough to upload my pics to my instagram account and also old enough to remember LOVING going through my nans photo albums when I was little.
I do hope people still have albums - I do. I take photos on my phone (camera not so much these days), upload them to my laptop, save them to an online photo site, and send off for the prints to then put in my albums.
The only "downside" I find is that as I take 1000s of pics these days as it's so so easy on your phone (don't have to remember camera, or only take how many is on film etc) I have ended up with 12 albums alone of my daughter growing up. My son who is 11 months old has already filled 2 albums! All my childhood pics fit in one!!
Lisa
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 19:27 GMT (UK) »
But what about all the photos hanging around in boxes and old envelopes with not a sign or mention of what or who or where they are.
I think we all have a share of those.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 20:29 GMT (UK) »
But what about all the photos hanging around in boxes and old envelopes with not a sign or mention of what or who or where they are.
I think we all have a share of those.

... and that is just as relevant with digital photography, whether it's camera or phone. It's so easy (and costs nothing) to take hundreds of images, but whilst the phone or SD card stores date and time, it does not automatically store names and locations.
If we are not careful our families will inherit digital shoeboxes just about as useless as the cardboard ones we've inherited.

No the photograph is far from dead, but it still needs work to preserve its usefulness.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Some really good points here and all relevant to my original post.

I also use modern technology and the various social media sites to post pictures etc, but the nostalgia of looking through an old album cannot be replaced by a Facebook album for me.

Don't get me wrong, to send a picture thousands of miles to family is a wonderful gift of the modern era and to Skype family members when you are apart is such a wonderful thing.

Sugarbakers makes a really important point, we are even less to tag or identify digital pictures than we are old black and whites, lesson for us all there.

I accept that we need to embrace modern technology and the digital age will not go away, I am just mindful of losing the nostalgia of looking through old albums forever.

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 23:54 GMT (UK) »
As others have commented there is nothing nicer than thumbing your way through an old family photo album....wish I had some!

I just have 'a box full' of my parents old pics with hardly any of them telling me who, where, what they all are!

These days its very easy to create photo books on the computer that you can add as many pictures to as you want and write information next to them too... this is the modern way to capture imagines of loved ones for the next generations to look through...

The advantages of modern photo books is that they can hold far more pictures and take up less space than the old fashioned photo albums of the past.

At least my grandchildren will be able to look at old and modern pictures of their mother and our family.

There is room for both but we need to move with the times.... personally I wouldn't post any pictures anywhere on social media I still want them to be kept private and just for family.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 November 17 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Last Christmas I gave my 2 grown up children and my Grandaughter 2 Empty Photograph Albums each, each with photos of them on the day they were born, and those from the years that followed.  (I had always dated the photos and added locations and/or names of others that were in the photo when I had them developed), but never got around to putting them in albums! 😂

I had actually intended to make up the albums myself, with their details and notes, but I ran out of time, got lazy and decided they were by then - old enough do it themselves!

I just love REAL photographs - even the old tatty ones.  It's been lovely, and I feel blessed to have been fortunate enough to have had so many wonderful restorations done by the amazing team of restorers here on Rootschat!  So because of their skills and the exciting clever digital work done by them, I am now able to see all my "real" special family photos, now proudly hanging on the walls in my home, along with some I had taken myself and printed off myself!

So a huge thank you yet again you wonderful restorers!  YOU ARE DA BOMB!! 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 November 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Whenever I ask my family for photographs I am told to look at various social media websites of which I am not a member and don't wish to be. When my parents were alive I made a point of having extra prints done for them.
Nowadays they hand round  phones with a tiny smeary screens which don't give you a chance to study them. They say they will email them but never do!!
rayard.