Author Topic: "Dutch Alley", Nottingham, Robin Hood Terrace, And Sophia Starr.  (Read 4275 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Dutch Alley", Nottingham, Robin Hood Terrace, And Sophia Starr.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I found a William Knowles of Rumford Street in a newspaper article - you can find him on the 1891 census there, aged 16,  It is St Mary's, Nottingham North East District 23, but once you are on the correct census page you can look for the surrounding roads etc.
You can also look at the roads on the first page.

Thank you.  :)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 18:25 GMT (UK) »

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 19:23 GMT (UK) »

Offline grizzlya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 December 19 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I have just come across this thread as the continuing research into my family tree reveals that my 3G-Grandfather's niece (Sarah Chettle) married Arthur Ringrose (the eldest son of Henry Pride Ringrose).

Looking at some of the earlier thread, I don't know how well you now Nottingham, but Narrow Marsh (now Cliff Road) sits at the foot of the hill on which St.Mary's Church stands. As far as I am aware, there is one (but possibly 2) sets of steep steps known as "Narrow Stairs" which lead from Cliff Road to the general area of St.Mary's Church, so it was only a quick (steep) walk up the steps to get married!

Rumford/Curzon & Cyprus Streets, although still in St.Mary Parish are about a mile away.

Kind regards - Merry Xmas

Peter

Adams (Warwickshire), Chettle (Nottm),

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 December 19 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I have just come across this thread as the continuing research into my family tree reveals that my 3G-Grandfather's niece (Sarah Chettle) married Arthur Ringrose (the eldest son of Henry Pride Ringrose).

Looking at some of the earlier thread, I don't know how well you now Nottingham, but Narrow Marsh (now Cliff Road) sits at the foot of the hill on which St.Mary's Church stands. As far as I am aware, there is one (but possibly 2) sets of steep steps known as "Narrow Stairs" which lead from Cliff Road to the general area of St.Mary's Church, so it was only a quick (steep) walk up the steps to get married!

Rumford/Curzon & Cyprus Streets, although still in St.Mary Parish are about a mile away.

Peter

Thank you very much.

Mery Xmas to you also.  :)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 December 19 13:43 GMT (UK) »
For anyone who subscribes to Ancestry on here:
I have written a Story named: "My Theory Why I Believe Sophia was Born Sophia Healey, And Not Sophia Starr." My real name is not RobinRedBreast, haha!

It may be a little complicated to follow. By my "postscript" may at least go some way to answering some outstanding questions:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/tree/108837364/person/420167053467/media/0d843bd4-633f-4b9f-bf5b-9bb52c7c05ca?_phtarg=IHi12247&msg=usy

Linked into this is my biography of Thomas Healey, on Find A Grave who I believe was the father of Sophia:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/205385262/thomas-healey

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 16 December 19 19:21 GMT (UK) »

Peter

Hello,

Thank you.
Arthur Ringrose, is one of the few siblings of my 2x great grandma Sophia Annie Ringrose, which we don't seem to have a photograph of.
I was born in Nottingham about 4 miles north of the city and spent the first 34 years of my life there.  :)
I found out later on that Rumford / Curzon & Cyprus Streets were not too far away from Robin Hood Terrace, where Sophia put her residence down as being when she married Henry Pride Ringrose in 1860. This is not much more than a stones throw away from Robin Hood Terrace, as shown on this old map. It was just across St Catherine's Cemetery on the top right here:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=52.9563&lon=-1.1451&layers=168&right=BingHyb
Union Place, which was off Glasshouse Street, was where Thomas Healey died on the 29th of March 1870. And where his wife Sarah died before that on the 6th of February 1865, with Henry Ringrose in attendance. It can be viewed on the above map also and is very close by.

:) ;) :D