Author Topic: Thames/Auckland area DAVID /MAKARETA -REHIAI aka REHARI  (Read 6844 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thames/Auckland area DAVID /MAKARETA -REHIAI aka REHARI
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 03 December 17 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Looking up on the MLandonline index it seems that there is a Rawiri family owning land around Hikutaia where Wiremu was killed.  see Hikutaia 1A3B.  This family owns land in the Waikato-Maniapoto district.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 03 December 17 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, really don't have time to go back searching the thread for numbers of specific posts ... can only suggest though you start by looking at the first couple of pages of the thread to see what was "found" at the outset ( e.g. Margaretta's birth ).   Then perhaps open some of the links provided in later posts, which give additional detail.    [We're all "in the same boat" here when a thread builds up to lots of pages... of having to go back and seek out references posted earlier.   ;D ]

The poster Barbara has been back to the thread and has added to and corrected some info she gave earlier - so good idea to also read those posts.   

:)

~  Lu

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 03 December 17 08:26 GMT (UK) »
For the sake of ease and completeness

1893/464   Levinia Kate   Hamilton   William   Rehiai

1894/8087 Rehiar, Marguretta  William & Lavinia Kate

1912/5868   Margaretta   Rehiai   Adam   Walters   

1896/2519   Lavinia Kate   Rehiai   George Edward   Fairburn 

We have also found the births, marriages and deaths for the children of Margaretta and Adam Walters

We have found the subsequent births of children to Lavinia to George Fairburn and the deaths of L a/e vinia and George. 

We have pondered on the possible (perhaps unlikely) Maori surname name as suggested  by OP and variations recorded on some official documents.  We are now looking for Rehari as the surname.
This was the name given  in the newspaper coverage of the killing of Wiremu Rehari. The coverage also mentions that some times he used the name Wi Taitua. Newspaper coverage  explains that this was the name of a local chief. 

My own view is that it would be most unlikely that a young man from a different rohe, say up north near Whangarei, would have had the cheek as an 'incomer' to have used the name of a chief in an area he did not whakapapa back to. 

On this basis with this name there are these deaths recorded in NZ BDM.

1895/5730    Rehari    Wi    24Y   
1898/6637          Rehari    Henrietta Claudina May    2Y   
1914/9749         Rehari    Turiti    70Y   
1918/17796   Rehari    Whakarepai Marara    18M   
1939/28612   Rehari    Keri    58Y

Using the MLO index I have found names in the Taitokorau Land Court area. This is 'up north'  I searched using the names of Turiti and Rehari. It has come up with Turiti Rihari which is a variation I had not thought of.  (Hangarau Turiti Rihari) has shares in Wairau North 5. 

if you do a BDM search on Rihari there are 99 deaths including some very old entries.  Also including a Makareta. 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 03 December 17 09:06 GMT (UK) »
I like the use of the royal "We", shanreagh.   ;D

The 1895 death of REHARI - Wi .... is of course William (REHIAI) - aged 24 years (bc 1871 )

And so as not to confuse or mislead, the 1966 death RIHARI - Makereta- showed her to be 87 years ...  born circa  1879.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 03 December 17 09:18 GMT (UK) »

We are now looking for Rehari as the surname.

.... well, not all of us are.   I personally prefer to "cast the net" more widely.   ;D

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 03 December 17 10:15 GMT (UK) »

.... there are these deaths recorded in NZ BDM.

1895/5730    Rehari    Wi    24Y   
1898/6637          Rehari    Henrietta Claudina May    2Y   ....

This is all getting a tad "complicated" now ... and I really don't want to add further confusion if I can help it.   ;D

But the death (registered at Thames) of the above Henrietta Claudina May REHARI - aged 2 years (bc 1896) makes me think that this was another child of Lavinia REHARI, born slightly before her marriage to George FAIRBURN which took place on 5 December 1896. 
Can't immediately find her birth registration at NZ BDM online (if there was indeed one) and she's not on the Birth index (@ ancestry).

In 1904 Lavinia had a daughter with George Edward FAIRBURN  who was named "Henrietta Claudina Mabel" (m.  1933 BRANNIGAN)  and Lavinia's mother had also had a daughter born at Thames, with John ALGIE in 1879 named Henrietta Claudina ALGIE.  This child died in 1884 (not 1881 as recorded at the following page).
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/149941455/Mary%20Ann-Levingston-Mood

[Barbara - a lot a reading involved re: Lavinia's mother.  She had 4 or so "husbands" -- LAWTON / HAMILTON / ALGIE / MOOD -- and to boot, she used a variety of christian names for herself e.g. Miriam Margaret / Mary Ann / Annie etc. but it's all explained in the above link.   Read it at your leisure I'd suggest.   ;D]

~  Lu

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 03 December 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »

We are now looking for Rehari as the surname.

.... well, not all of us are.   I personally prefer to "cast the net" more widely.   ;D

~  Lu

Oh dear.....as we all do.

I was meaning as opposed to the unusual names that the thread has such as the name that Lavinia & Wi's child was registered under  etc.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 03 December 17 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I like the use of the royal "We", shanreagh.   ;D

The 1895 death of REHARI - Wi .... is of course William (REHIAI) - aged 24 years (bc 1871 )

And so as not to confuse or mislead, the 1966 death RIHARI - Makereta- showed her to be 87 years ...  born circa  1879.

~  Lu

The name Wi is not always a shortened form of Wiremu.   His name may actually have been 'Wi'. Similar to names today where say a boy named Jack does not always have his name as John, as was traditional, but be legally named Jack.  I think there may be a clue in the fact that this registration is for 'Wi'. There is no 'of course' about it until the printout has been obtained and checked. 

And to clarify, the sentences I wrote about the Rihari surname deaths registered in BDM did not  say the the Makereta registration was the very old one. 

1916/10962   Rihari    Hemi    90YA

This is very old for instance, with a possible birth around 1826.

It is not the Royal 'we'.  The genealogical threads and searching that I have participated in are always a shared endeavour. We build on the findings of others.  So we have moved on in this thread from the odd surname names in some official documents etc to possibly looking at surnames such as Rehari & Rihari. I am surprised you needed to make this comment.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 03 December 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I was only involved in this query right at the very beginning when we had no idea of dates or locations of the original marriage mentioned - in addition, assuming it was in the British Isles!

Can I say I think you 2 have done some amazing work and uncovered so much information. I had no clue just how complicated New Zealand research could be with the traditional Maori names.

I am SO impressed by all your hard work and the outcomes.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.