Author Topic: My Maciver ancestors who emigrated from Isle of Lewis, Scotland to the Eastern T  (Read 4820 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Maciver ancestors who emigrated from Isle of Lewis, Scotland to the Eastern T
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 March 20 09:26 GMT (UK) »
 Interestin daft statistic Albafera. If true that will be the young Asian guys who play in the Glasgow parks on the south-side to the amusement of the natives, no doubt boosted by flannelled fools from south of the border, as we have a large English population!  ;D
 I'm over 70 and have never met or worked with, a cricketer! 

Skoosh.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: My Maciver ancestors who emigrated from Isle of Lewis, Scotland to the Eastern T
« Reply #19 on: Monday 16 March 20 13:44 GMT (UK) »
does swinging a bat in front of a lampost
in the cul de sac count as cricket

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 March 20 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm over 70 and have never met or worked with, a cricketer! 
I had to play cricket at school. It wasn't as bad as tennis and hockey and lacrosse and netball and all the other stupid team ball games we had to play. Also I learned to keep the score, so was able to avoid actually having to play quite often, thank goodness.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 March 20 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Well FF, I never got any of those and notice in todays papers that gatherings of over 500 people are now banned in a Scotland where football clubs are faced with paying out tens of millions in compensation to fans. Rugby also hit hard by this pandemic but of cricket & peever there is nary a mention!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 March 20 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Well FF, I never got any of those and notice in todays papers that gatherings of over 500 people are now banned in a Scotland where football clubs are faced with paying out tens of millions in compensation to fans. Rugby also hit hard by this pandemic but of cricket & peever there is nary a mention!  ;D Skoosh.
I can't imagine peevers attracting audiences that size :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.