Author Topic: Missing McKenzie Children - Tiree & Coll.  (Read 2436 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing McKenzie Children - Tiree & Coll.
« on: Saturday 02 December 17 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I've recently started looking at my paternal lineage, and have come across some of the old brick walls that used to stump me.

My 4x Great Grandparents were John McKenzie & Elizabeth 'Betty' Sutherland who married on the 20th of May 1805 in Canongate, Edinburgh. Together they had 9 children, the first four - Margaret, Elizabeth, Charlotte, & John (my 3x Great Grandfather) were born outside of Argyll. After John Sr. left the military the family for some reason moved to Argyllshire and settled on the Isle of Coll and there John & Betty had 5 more children - Mary (1815), Allan (1817), Donald (1820), Janet (1824), & Catherine (1828).

I know what became of Margaret, Elizabeth, John, & Mary but the rest are one heck of an enigma for me. I believe Donald married a Mary McKinnon on January 23rd, 1850 on Coll. In 1851 Donald & Mary are living at 12 Grisapool, Tyree & Coll and Donald is 'Master of a Tradings Mack'. Yet together they do not appear in any further census returns together.

Charlotte McKenzie (1811) - I cannot find any information on apart from her Baptism on 13th February 1811 in Boleskine & Abertaff.

Allan McKenzie (1817) - No info can I find apart from his Baptism on 2nd November 1817 on the Isle of Coll.

Janet McKenzie (1824) - I believe married John McDonald on 15th January 1849 on Coll and in 1851 Janet is listed as a Cottar's Wife in Tyree & Coll and she and John had a daughter called Ann born in 1849.

Catherine McKenzie (1828) - Married Hugh MacLean on 8th July 1857 in the Parish of Kirkapole. The only census I can find possible info on them is in 1861 where they may have been living in Olrig & Caithness.

Apart from the little info, that is all I have been able to find on Charlotte, Allan, Donald, Janet, & Catherine. I have been unable to find any more marriages or deaths for them.

If anyone could help me I would appreciate it. I would love to know what happened to my 4x Great Aunts and Uncles with the McKenzie name!

Cheers - Keelan

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Missing McKenzie Children - Tiree & Coll.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 December 17 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Keelan,
Do we assume you know the family is living in Arinagour, Coll in 1841 ?
jcmac.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Jcmac - I have the family living on the High Street, in the parish of Tyree and Coll in 1841.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 December 17 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I've also seen that Donald McKenzie registered his father's death in 1857, and that is the last of Donald I can find.  :(