Author Topic: Penybryn Baptist Chapel Llangollen lookup request (Blackwell Index)  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Penybryn Baptist Chapel Llangollen lookup request (Blackwell Index)
« on: Monday 04 December 17 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, unfortunately the Blackwell Index CD is out of stock at CLWYDFHS so I was wondering if some kind person has a copy and could do a lookup for me ?

I'm researching my g-grandfather Evan Hughes, who was born in 1846 in Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog, an illegitimate son to an Agnes Hughes who herself was born in 1818. On the 17th February 1851 Agnes married a Price Phillips at the Penybryn Baptist Chapel so I'm hoping that Evan and Agnes were both baptised there and the index could yield more information possibly about Evan's father, and also Agnes' father.

Alternative, if anyone has a copy of the CD I would be more than happy to make a reasonable offer for a copy.

Many thanks, Gordon Hughes.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Penybryn Baptist Chapel Llangollen lookup request (Blackwell Index)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi cannot help with baptism etc, but I see Price aged 25 and Agnes Phillips 33 were as you say in Llansaintfraid Glyn Ceirog in 1851 census, noted that no Evan Hughes with them c aged 4, he looks to be with a David Hughes 53 Unmarried and Elizabeth Williams 67 Widow/Sister both born Llangollen at 67, Mill, Llansaintfraid Glyn Ceirog?
Census ref HO107/2509/610/13
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 17 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes I've seen that entry in the 1851 census. If you look at the original image it says that David Hughes is the grandfather of Evan Hughes, in which case it seems a bit strange that he is also unmarried. It would be good to confirm that Agnes Hughes' father was indeed a David Hughes. Also, sometimes in baptism records, I've seen additional comments about the child or its parents, which is why I'm keen to get hold of them.

Many thanks, Gordon.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 December 17 17:54 GMT (UK) »
 :) Thanks for telling me you already had the 1851 census for Evan, glad I looked it up!
Who did Elizabeth Hughes marry to become a Williams, I try all routes if unable to assist in other ways?!
Keyboard86

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 December 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
I don't know - this is all pre-1841 so the only way to find out is through parish records. I've got the parish transcripts for Llansantffraidd baptisms, marriages and burials, but they only go up to 1814 and they don't cover non-conformist ceremonies. Also, as you might guess, there are a number of Elizabeth Hughes who married a Williams so it's needle-in-a-haystack territory. There is a ray of hope in that Agnes isn't that common a name - there are no Agnes Hughes in the parish transcripts I have - so I think the clues would be in the Blackwell Index if anywhere.

Gordon.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 December 17 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi do you have the 1841 census for Agnes, as she looks to be the Agnes HUGHS 20 in large household in Lebyollen Abbot, Bridge Street, Llangollen
Census ref HO107/1400/ 12/5 / 5

Possibly Elizabeth Hughes married an older man, as also in Llangollen we have William Williams 75 Elizabeth 55 and David Hughes 40
Census ref HO107/1400/ 1/6 / 5
Keyboard86

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 December 17 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Oh now that's interesting. I do have access to the 1841 census on Ancestry but there's nothing for an Agnes Hughes/Hughs there. Where did you find that information ? I do have the CDs for the 1841 census for Denbighshire and Merionethshire so if need be I can search through those.

Thanks, Gordon.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you still need the look up on Blackwell, I'll look for it on mine later this evening.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 December 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Oh now that's interesting. I do have access to the 1841 census on Ancestry but there's nothing for an Agnes Hughes/Hughs there. Where did you find that information ? I do have the CDs for the 1841 census for Denbighshire and Merionethshire so if need be I can search through those.

Thanks, Gordon.

:) Looks like from previous post you will get some help later, on Anc**** on that census ref she is Agnes Hughes b 1821 in Llangollen on 1841 Wales census
Keyboard86