Author Topic: Penybryn Baptist Chapel Llangollen lookup request (Blackwell Index)  (Read 3984 times)

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Penybryn Baptist Chapel Llangollen lookup request (Blackwell Index)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 December 17 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, that would be much  appreciated.

Gordon

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 December 17 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon

Sorry to say that there is no entry for either Agnes or Evan in the Blackwell index.  The coverage is not complete as not ll the records survived.

I've had a look at the RG4 (non-conformist records) but, they aren't listed.

A slight correction to Keyboard's mention of Lebyollen Abbot in reply #5. This would be Llangollen Abbot - one of the urban townships in Llangollen parish. Bridge Street is one of the main streets in Llangollen itself - I went to school there so often walked that street  :)

If you obtain the marriage cert for Agnes, you'll get her father's name.

Sorry I couldn't find them in my records.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »

If you obtain the marriage cert for Agnes, you'll get her father's name.

Agnes's marriage ref -  Mar Q, 1851, Corwen vol 27 page 199

Think this is Evan's birth registration:
Dec Q, 1846, Corwen, vol 27 page 148

GRO has a blank for mother's maiden name which implies illegitimate birth.  Not sure that getting this will give you any info about paternity.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, I appreciate your efforts.

I already have Agnes's marriage certificate but unfortunately it says that her father is 'unknown' !

As you're familiar with Llangollen, I should say that on a separate note i'm trying to trace the descendants of Evan's half-brother Roderick (Agnes' son by her marriage to Price Phillips. Roderick married an Eliza Ellis and they had a daughter Augusta Phillips who in turn married a Thomas Maldwyn Evans. They had a daughter Myfanwy Evans who married a Harry Williams in 1945. So Augusta and Thomas Evans lived in Waverley Villas, Llangollen, and Harry, the son was the son of Charles Edward Williams and Isabella Louisa Spencer who lived at Arnon Cottage, If you're from Llangollen you'll know that Arnon Cottage isn't what one might describe as a 'cottage' !

Myfanwy and Harry Williams were living at Dick Place in Edinburgh in 1973 (apparently one of the most expensive areas in the city). What I'm trying to do is locate descendants of his siblings to find out whether they had any children.

I thought I'd just mention this in case it rings any bells with you. 

Kind regards, Gordon.

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info about Evan's birth certificate. I have got that and the father's name is blank. Are you also suggesting that Agnes was illegitimate as well ? If so, then I've probably hit a brick wall.

Gordon.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Arnon Cottage in Abbey Road - lots of big houses there! I've not been back since 2007. It's changed a lot since I was a school girl. We used to be ushers at the International Eisteddfod  :)

I am thinking that Agnes might be illegitimate give the 'unknown' on her marriage cert.  Does she say place of birth is Glyn Ceiriog on all the censuses?

There used to be a Ceiriog Valley News - a cousin of mine was involved but I think it's closed down and cousin now lives in Europe.

Gadget

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Agnes died in 1867 and Price Phillips remarried after that (an Elizabeth Jones) so the only census I can find Agnes on is from 1851 which says she was born in Llangollen. I can't find the 1841 census which says she's in Llangollen Abbot, not on Ancestry anyway, but I'm sure you know how bad some of the Ancestry transcriptions are. I'll take a look through the CDs I have for the 1841 census, but as you know the information on the 1841 census is very scant anyway.

Yes, Arnon Cottage is quite a large house. I believe it was once the home of the local MP.

Gordon.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi as suggested if you look for Agnes Hughes 1821 living in Llangollen on 1841 WALES census on Anc**** she is there?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 December 17 21:51 GMT (UK) »
hi Keyboard,

Thanks - I've now found it. I had put her year of birth down as 1818, which it is, but of course the ages get rounded in the 1841 census, so it appears as 1821 !

Gordon