Author Topic: Glack, Kirkmichael, Banffshire, Scotland  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Glack, Kirkmichael, Banffshire, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 December 17 07:26 GMT (UK) »
I was trying to get at why this other person thought they came from Glack. There has to be a reason for them thinking that, and if the reason is good it should be possible to replicate their findings.

Although Glack is in the parish of Inveravon, the parish kirk of Kirkmichael is much closer than the parish kirk of Inveravon, so it would make sense for them to attend services there, and to seek baptism from the minister of Kirkmichael rather than the minister of Inveravon.

Or it is even possible that Glack was in a detached part of Kirkmichael, as an enclave surrounded by Inveravon.

I see from LIBINDX that Helen Fraser, aged 74, died in Keith in 1872, and that Helen Fraser is in the 1851 census there, birthplace Kirkmichael. Also that James Fraser died in Keith in 1875 aged 71, and that he and his wife, both born in Kirkmichael, were in the 1851 census there.

However I shall not look into this any further in the meantime.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 December 17 10:04 GMT (UK) »
If the family can't be found in the kirk records, they may have been Roman Catholic. According to the Old Statistical Account in 1791 there were 384 Catholics out of a population of 1276. The account is worth reading as the writer is not short of an opinion or two. Of the women of "Tammtoul" he has this to say:

"All of them sell whisky, and all of them drink it. When disengaged from this business, the women spin yarn, kiss their inamoratos, or dance to the discordant sounds of an old fiddle."

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 December 17 10:29 GMT (UK) »
If the family can't be found in the kirk records, they may have been Roman Catholic.
Quite likely, but none of them appear to be listed in any of the databases on SP.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline crombieburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Just for your interest, in my lifetime the  Glack in the Braes of Glenlivet was a more or less a "sheep house " but was rebuilt as a holiday house several years ago. I think it is still inhabited and is at the base of the Bochel hill. If this is where your Frasers lived, they might have been on RC baptism records etc for Chapelton , the Braes of Glenlivet or even Tombae on the other side of the Bochel.
Tomintoul/Kirkmichael.
Steuart/Stuart/Stewart, Riach/McIntosh, Gow/ Smith, McGregor,Grant.

Offline blackenbauer114

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you crombieburn