Author Topic: COUGHLAN  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Irisheyes1205

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COUGHLAN
« on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm finding it extremely difficult to trace my Irish ancestors.  My great grandparents were James Coughlan and Anne Shanahan both born about 1880 in Ireland. They had 16 children between 1900-1921(ish).  I have found 11 of them but am unable to find anything on the rest.  They were born in Birr, Offaly, Ireland.  Some of them went to England and New York/New Jersey.  Three of the daughters became nuns and one son became a priest. I cant find ANYTHING on them at all. I'm just lost and I don't know where to look. Any help or suggestions, I would appreciate.  Thank you.

Confirmed children by birth records:

Mary Bridget - 1900
Margaret - 1901
Patrick - 1903
Rose Anne - 1905
Catherine - 1906
Ellen - 1908
Teresa - 1910
Joseph - 1912
Michael - 1913
Martin - 1914
Josephine (My Grandma) - 1919

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COUGHLAN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

Irish Genealogy shows a birth for Loretta 1916 which isn’t in your list.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1916/01327/1548097.pdf

You have posted this in the forum for Cork when it seems as though it should be in the Offaly one.

If it is a mistake, just click on ‘report to moderator’ and ask for it to be moved.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
Is this the family?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/King_s_Co_/Cloghan/Creggan_or_Glosterboy/550193/

If you could tell us which names you are having problems with we would have a better idea what and where to search.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 22:41 GMT (UK) »

Offline Irisheyes1205

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes Sinann, that's my family.

Heywood, that's where I get confused. Some documents say Cork Co and I remember my grandma saying Cork Co but on the birth certificates it says Birr, Offaly.  So I wasn't sure where to post this. Should I move it?

And as far as the rest of the names, the only ones I have are: Christine and Sarah, which I have found zero information on. I don't know the other three names. UGH. I will check on Loretta.

Do you know why I cant find anything up to about 1919. I cant even find my grandmas birth certificate from 1919.  I'm wondering if there was a fire or damage.

Thanks so much!!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 07:35 GMT (UK) »
If you check the Irish Genealogy site which I mentioned earlier you can see which records are available online. It is a good site but at the moment cannot be accessed. Hopefully it will be back soon. The records are free. That is where I found Loretta’s birth and Rose Anne’s marriage.

There are indexes here http://www.rootschat.com/links/01l56/

There are possibilities for Christina and Sarah between 1916 and 1919 in the indexes. You would have to send for the certificates to check.

When IG is back up, you might just have to sit and trawl through although the births are only up to 1916, I think.

You mention ‘some documents’ -  are they official. You need to check them too.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 08:17 GMT (UK) »
It's always more difficult to find records after 1911due to data protection.
Marriage
Jan 1900
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1900/10337/5763540.pdf
1901 Census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/King_s_Co_/Cloghan/Cloghan_Town/1460431/

Apart from the difficulty of finding births after 1916 due to the 100 year rule , finding marriages can be difficult as only the father is named and there can be more than one man with that name, the couple are often not living at home at the time of marriage, and sons (daughters less so) often don't marry in their home parish.
It's easier to go back in time from 1911 than forward.

As heywood has indicated any address record or even writing on a photo you have could be important clues to finding them.