Author Topic: Could DNA testing help discover father of my illegitimate Grandmother?  (Read 18216 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Could DNA testing help discover father of my illegitimate Grandmother?
« Reply #117 on: Monday 08 June 20 13:24 BST (UK) »
No, that lady was Hannah Davison. (See post 97) I checked her out and a son and have since discounted both as any connection.  Hypothesis testing brought up nothing I might add so I think she might just have been taking in an occasional boarder.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Still a work in progress with this one as nothing conclusive has emerged to nail things but ..

I have two questions.

Yesterday, I added a potential Father for my Grandmother.  This hypothesis ancestor immediately came on Thrulines and a message was there stating changes might be made in 24 hours.
Now this person has completely disappeared from Thrulines even though I still have them on my Tree as a hypothesis ancestor.  Is this a glitch or might I expect them to reappear on Thrulines soon once any changes are completed?

Second question is regarding the match I have for someone else who has this ancestor which could hypothetically be mine too.
This person is showing as a 4th cousin match.  However, am I right in thinking this may be because we might be half 'cousins' and that we might have a closer link than other usual full 4th cousins might have?
I think this person may possibly hold the missing key to my Great Grandfather.  In each of our trees we have no known shared ancestors but his ancestor line was in the vicinity.  This match's Great Grandfather has two records which indicate that he was living in South Shields in the decade my Grandmother was born.  He also married in Westoe not far from where my Grandmother was born and lived.
This is just a hypothesis of course and this may not be Grandmother's Father.  However, this does feel like a good potential lead to investigate further.
Hopefully, I'll get there one of these days. ::)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Seesure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Not sure whether it helps or not, but following a DNA test last year I found out the name of the father of my mother's father.

We knew that my grandfather's father was his stepdad, but had no idea who he was. Thanks to an Ancestry DNA test (which I also uploaded to Myheritage) 3 "1st or 2nd Cousins" appeared. CM matches were between 226 and 398.

I was also lucky that a known first cousin of mine also had done a DNA test so it enabled us to discount other potential lines and nail the candidate down, once we got a "strong candidate" it was a case of confirming it as much as we could which eventually pulled together with the 1901 census and my grandfather's birth certificate from 1905.

The birth certificate shows that my grandfather was born in the Bilston Workhouse (his mother was just 17 at the time) and his real father was shown as being at the workhouse (we believe to be working there as a butcher) in 1901.

Combined with the DNA samples and the address and locality the probability is very high.

It really is about striking it lucky and hoping that unknown relations do take a DNA test ....

Offline Lindy Freedman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 29 April 21 16:38 BST (UK) »
My maternal side Grandmother was born illegitimate in 1895.  Could DNA testing possibly lead to finding out who her father could have been - possibly through cousin matching?  Is this something I could do or would a  brother be needed to do a test?

I find the topic of DNA advice a bit mind-boggling ::)  to understand so I am hoping that someone might be able to answer this question in a simple way.  I have been wondering for a while if this type of thing could be of help.  Can anyone enlighten me? :)

One of the things I tried was 'bastardy records', this is where a name man takes responsibility for the upkeep of the child.  We weren't successful and I am not quite sure how long those records kept up or whether they varied from area to area.  I was checking early 1800's in Bury Lancashire, it would have to be the town she lived in.